Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Santana Trade Talks

MLB ERA

Re: Santana Trade Talks

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    I don't think Billy Beane likes Milledge anymore though...to get one of those two guys, enjoy giving up Fernando Martinez or Carlos Gomez.
    And Mike Pelfrey

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    go ahead, bankrupt all of your farm systems for Santana, while my Mets spend less to get either Dan Haren or Joe Blanton....everybody wins, right?
    We're not giving away Haren/Blanton/Street/Harden. All are under control for at least 3 years and all are cheap. Beane will have to be bowled over and from what I've been reading, the Mets probably only have enough to get Blanton. And it won't be Milledge/Heilman. The difference between Santana/Twins and any of our boys is that we don't have to deal anyone. They're all under control unlike Santana.

If the Red Sox get Santana for that, I'd call it a steal. Lester is no Buccholz, and Crisp is definitely no Ellsbury. Masterson hasn't been all that impressive either. I guess he could turn into a Wang-esque pitcher, but I'm not sure how that will play out in a turf stadium... well until that new ballpark opens. I can see the attraction for Lowrie though.

Still, I think a few teams can top that package. Will they? That's the question.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

If the Red Sox can get Santana for Jon Lester/Clay Buchholz and ****ing Coco Crisp, the Dodgers ought to wake the **** up and offer Matt Kemp and Clayton Kershaw for Santana instead of wasting their time trying to pry Erik Bedard from Baltimore.

MLB ERA

I don't disagree. The Dodgers have a lot of young talent they could use to bring Johan into camp. They have the resources to meet his salary needs and should be able to provide him a chance to make it into the post-season again. If he goes to the NL, the hitters won't have a chance against him his first time through the league. I could see him starting the season 14-0 in his first 15 starts and finishing about 22-3.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Minnesota Twins ace Johan Santana is one of several players the Mariners have inquired about heading into next week's baseball winter meetings. Multiple sources in Minnesota and elsewhere in baseball indicated Thursday that the Mariners have already spoken with the Twins about their top pitcher. No formal offer is known to have been made, and the Mariners are one of several teams to have expressed interest in the two-time Cy Young Award winner. Mariners general manager Bill Bavasi, in a conference call with local reporters Thursday, declined to comment on any specific players he was after. But Bavasi did suggest he'd be prepared to deal young prospects — like Adam Jones, Brandon Morrow or Jeff Clement — if the right trade proposal came along. ... A baseball source said Thursday the Mariners are likely a "second-tier" contender for Santana, largely because he has expressed a preference for playing on the East Coast.
    Adam Jones would be an interesting choice to put in an OF with Young. Morrow isn't even close to a Kennedy or Chamberlain and the Twins have no use for Jeff Clement. M's did some respect for even trying to get a guy of Santana's stature.

It's me... Gene Parmesan
    Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    If the Red Sox can get Santana for Jon Lester/Clay Buchholz and ****ing Coco Crisp, the Dodgers ought to wake the **** up and offer Matt Kemp and Clayton Kershaw for Santana instead of wasting their time trying to pry Erik Bedard from Baltimore.
    No no no... they should definitely keep talking to Baltimore. Send us Kershaw.

And BTW, the Yanks have decided to include Hughes in an offer for Santana.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...bedard2006.jpg

TSSL - Houston Astros
    TPSL - Chicago White Sox

Yes they have, but it doesn't look like that will be enough, so I think the Yanks should just let it alone. They can not get themselves in a mode where they are willing to overpay - even for Johan Santana. If the Twins want Hughes, Kennedy, Melky, and a prospect, then they should walk away.

NJ.com: Everything Jersey

Minnesota "could get Melky and Hughes in July" before the trade deadline, said the person, referring to the Twins' belief that unless overwhelmed, they could keep Santana and deal him midseason if not in contention.
    If Hughes is pitching well next year, I don't think Minny is going to get him as easily as they think. God willing once we see him fully healthy on the field showing his true potential, he is going right back to untouchable.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Adam Jones would be an interesting choice to put in an OF with Young. Morrow isn't even close to a Kennedy or Chamberlain and the Twins have no use for Jeff Clement. M's did some respect for even trying to get a guy of Santana's stature.
    Actually, the Twins drafted Jeff Clement out of high school. He chose to attend USC instead of spending his time in the minors.
    As to Adam Jones, picking him up would be nice for the Twins, but can he play CF in the bigs on a regular basis? As to Morrow, he looks OK, but I think the Twins would want a pitcher closer to contributing at the big league level in this deal.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Veovis View Post
    Yes they have, but it doesn't look like that will be enough, so I think the Yanks should just let it alone. They can not get themselves in a mode where they are willing to overpay - even for Johan Santana. If the Twins want Hughes, Kennedy, Melky, and a prospect, then they should walk away.

NJ.com: Everything Jersey

If Hughes is pitching well next year, I don't think Minny is going to get him as easily as they think. God willing once we see him fully healthy on the field showing his true potential, he is going right back to untouchable.
    Now that the Yankees have said that Hughes is available in this deal, I expect to see the Red Sox counter with another offer. If the Twins and Yankees can make a deal quickly, the Red Sox would be left out in the cold, as it were. Lets see what happens. If Johan is still on the Twins roster after the meetings in Nashville, I expect to see him on the opening day roster.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I am going to Nashville next week to try and find Mr. Brian Sabean. My brother lives there so I get a free place to stay and will be a stalker for a week

I agree that the Red Sox will counter but I could also see them staying pat. Even if the Yankees get Santana, I still think the Sox have a better rotation.

MLB ERA

I agree, especially if Hughes is included in the deal. The Yankees actually weaken themselves in this deal if Cabrera and Hughes are both included.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Well.. at least it's nice to see that the Twins are taking full advantage of the situation by using the Red Sox's offers as leverage against the Yankees, and using the Yankees' offers as leverage against the Red Sox. Wonder how far they could stretch their luck.

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I am going to Nashville next week to try and find Mr. Brian Sabean. My brother lives there so I get a free place to stay and will be a stalker for a week

I agree that the Red Sox will counter but I could also see them staying pat. Even if the Yankees get Santana, I still think the Sox have a better rotation.
    Have fun in Nashville!

No doubt about the rotations if Pettitte doesn't come back. You could argue Santana is better than Beckett, and that Wang is better than Schilling at this point, but they've got an advantage in Dice-K over Moose. I'd call Lester and Buccholz a wash with Joba and Kennedy, but we'll see how the two sets distinguish themselves.

Frankly, I don't see how much farther the Yankees could go with this. They simply can't afford at this point to give up more than one of the Big 3, not without knowing if Pettitte is coming back. I don't want to see Kei Igawa with a rotation spot come April, and I'm sure the Yankees don't either.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I just think the Yankees young guys like Chamberlain and Kennedy won't be able to sustain excellence over the course of a full season so that's why I say the Sox would be better. I see them struggling and running out of steam in August. Keep in mind I also said the DBacks wouldn't do so well because their young guys couldn't keep it up for a whole season and look what happened.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast