Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunter signs with Anaheim

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Hunter signs with Anaheim

Quote Originally Posted by GiantsFan83 View Post
    They said Mathews Jr wont be playing in the OF, he will be a DH and fill in for the corner OF whenever Vlad or Anderson need a day off.
    Whoever "they" are must be on crack. Matthews is just as good defensively as Hunter, whereas Garrett Anderson doesn't jump for high fly balls.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19 View Post
    WOW!!! That came out of nowhere. I didnt even hear the Angels' in the rumors. I have been out of the loop the past week. Been very busy, and not able to keep up. I really thought he was going to be somewhere else (White Sox or Rangers).

Congrats to the Angels.
    Kinda like when they signed Vlad
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

that is true hollywoodleo, i forgot about that. good point.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    Whoever "they" are must be on crack. Matthews is just as good defensively as Hunter, whereas Garrett Anderson doesn't jump for high fly balls.
    Yeah, if they put Matthews at DH it's ****ing retarded.

Just throw Vlad in right 4 out of 5 games, move him to DH and GA to left and Matthews to right on the other game.

GA's about as good in the field as me.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I too heard what Giantsfan is talking about. Forgot who said it but they said it on ESPNNews. I do think that guy was on crack though.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

"Torii is going to be in center field virtually every day. Gary will be in the outfield almost every day, so the other two guys will split up the DH," Scioscia said in a conference call.
    Well, this is about either Scioscia being loyal to Anderson, or freeing Vlad to concentrate more on hitting, or Scioscia helping himself to Rex Hudler's stash. (No offense to Hud.)

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    I agree with you on that, and plus Mathews is more athletic and young compare to Anderson.

If you click on the link there is a quote in the 10th paragraph that says this

With Guerrero in right and Anderson in left, the move leaves no space in the starting outfield for Matthews Jr. The Angels said the center fielder, who signed a $50 million, five-year deal as a free agent last offseason, could see time at designated hitter and spell the corner outfielders.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The only reason Matthews is the so-called odd man out is because only Anderson has been with Scioscia since the beginning. And right or wrong, Scioscia is nothing without loyalty to the guys whom he knows best.

"If you want your players to be loyal to you, you must be prepared to give loyalty." - Red Auerbach

But Anderson starting in the OF over Matthews would be detrimental to the team. Would it not show more loyalty to the team by Scioscia if he played Matthews? Wouldn't he be cheating the team otherwise? Or maybe the correct answer is to just trade Matthews? Whatever happened to Juan Rivera?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Scioscia has baffling loyalty. But he said he will put all four outfielders in the lineup. And the 5th outfielder Juan Rivera was on the DL for much of the past season.

It will be interesting to see how he juggles them all unless they pull off a trade.

Product of the Boombap
    Rookie ERA

The Angels are looking more and more scary as this season goes on. Great start to the offseason for them, especially when the Dodgers were getting so much air time for getting Torre.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Dodgers haven't even started yet. I expect them to get Rowand now.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Granted, Rowand is a fine centerfielder and would be money spent more wisely than Juan Pierre was, but...actually, I have no buts about it. Compared to the retarded acquisitions of Jason Schmidt and Esteban Loaiza, signing Rowand to $50 million would be ****ing brilliant.

Product of the Boombap
    Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Dodgers haven't even started yet. I expect them to get Rowand now.
    Rowand is a nice player and somebody who I wouldn't mind having on my team. Statistically he's very similar to Hunter. My main point was that the Angels are continuing to show themselves to be willing to spend the money to win, whereas the Dodgers still haven't made that "big deal" to put them over the top. Schmidt may have been that attempt, but to me it was just a waste of money.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast