Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Johan a Yankee?

MLB ERA

Johan a Yankee?

Let’s assume for a minute that Twins GM Terry Ryan actually intends to trade Johan Santana this winter. Would there be takers? Most certainly. The thing to keep in mind, however, is there are only so many teams out there that would be able to afford a long-term contract for the best pitcher in the game. Shorter still are the list of teams that have both the means and the bargaining chips to pull it off. For instance, the Dodgers would be one of those teams, but I’m thinking about another team on another coast.

Now, before anyone flies off the handle, just hear me out on this, because I think the best move for the Twins would be to trade Santana to the New York Yankees.

Like I said, hear me out, because there is a lot involved with this. It’s not just dealing Santana to the Bronx for whatever they can get back. I think the Twins could position themselves to make a serious run at a championship beginning next season should they convince New York GM Brian Cashman to pull this particular trigger.

There is no doubt the Yankees could afford to sign Santana long-term. None. However, this is a team that has plundered their minor league system over the years for established major league players that haven’t always panned out. But things have changed a bit, the pinstripers actually have some top-notch talent up from the farm. Now, would they be willing to part with some of it to acquire the best hurler baseball has to offer? Particularly considering Santana is only 28 years old? I think the answer would be a resounding yes.
    Bugs & Cranks » Let’s Just Say…
    ^^^Rest of article.

This is one heck of an article, I loved it. Now this prolly won't happen but I love talkin about rumors like this. Now I don't know if I would be willing to give up Joba I mean Mo is starting to age a little and someone will have to step into that role of the closer and Joba seems to be the best fit so far but just like the article said hes not really proven anything yet. About Cabrera, I'm hesatint on letting him go aswell because once again another player is starting to show some age and that is Damon. Melky has proven to us that he knows how to play the game of baseball, Melky could step into the CF role and maybe be the next Bernie Williams? But Santana is so inticing, I mean how can you not want this guy in your rotation? Also yet once again the Yankees rotation has some old pitchers. Clemens will more then likely retire after this season and we don't know much longer Pettite and Moose can hold up. Johan seems to be a good fit for the rotation but I'm not sure if Cashman will give up two amazing young prospects. Plus this a just a far out rumor by some sports writer but hey it makes for a good argument.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Johan a Yankee?

Who was the guy that wrote the article? There is no way in hell Santana ever leaves the Twins! I guarantee this. We have a new stadium opening in a couple years. If he would leave the Twins via trade or us not being able to resign him would be a huge error on Terry Ryan's part. He is the key to our pitching staff. With Liriano back next season we will have the best 1-2 punch in baseball.

So Yankee fans keep dreaming!
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

MLB ERA

I hope the Yankees get him, if nothing else but to prevent the Dodgers from doing so
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The Dodgers don't have the cajones to get a star player who is actually in his prime, like Santana.

MLB ERA

I wish Cincy would make a play for him, at least that way I can give a legitimate reason to get Dunn's salary off the books faster.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA

Is that all Cincy would be able to give up? I mean who else would the Reds send to Minnesota for Johan?
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Johan a Yankee?

I have a strange feeling that is where Santana will end up (with the Yankees, that is).

MLB ERA

I don't know I mean the Yankees would have to give up alot and I don't think they are willing to.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Johan a Yankee?

They have to be the front runners in signing him. If George wants him, then he will get him.

MLB ERA

Oh there is no doubt they are the front runners and I know that if George wants him they will go out and get him but I think George would rather hold on to his young hot prospects.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

MLB ERA

The beating just continues Cabrera doubles to bring in a run, it is now 14-5.

(woops wrong thread but I don't know what to do so if someone wants to delete this post go right ahead)

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

MLB ERA

you're able to delete your own posts.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by BuckFoston View Post
    Is that all Cincy would be able to give up? I mean who else would the Reds send to Minnesota for Johan?
    Im just saying thats the only way I wouldnt exercise Dunn's option is if there were some way we were getting Johan and getting him signed long term.

Id probably throw Homer, Edwin, and a couple spects at the twins and see the response. Given he (Johan) Signs an extension first.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

How's this for a reason ot to pick up Dunn's salary, the Reds haven't won anything!!

As for the Yankees being the front runners, I would have to say yes and no. The Yankees have the money of course but don't think they will have the talent to get him. BuckFoston makes the good point that their young guys like Chamberlain and Hughes are going to be a staple in the Yankees pitching staff. The Dodgers and Angels have great talent and could move more pieces to get a Santana. There are going to be a lot of teams in the hunt for Santana if he ever becomes available.

MLB ERA

on another site theres a bunch of Reds fans that say theres no way we exercise the option on Dunn. I personally feel you have to because you're not going to get Dunn type production from the guys left to be free agents.

If a great pitcher like Johan would be the result of getting rid of Dunn would be the only way I could understand not exercising the option, anything less than a Zambrano (who resigned) or Johan via trade and the Reds are IDIOTS if they dont bring Dunn back.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast