Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teixeira To The Braves (Now Official)

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Teixeira To The Braves (Now Official)

Texas would be receiving Jarrod Saltalamacchia, shortstop prospect Elvis Andrus, and two pitching prospects (likely Matt Harrison is one) in exchange for Mark Teixeira and reliever Ron Mahay.

The Braves are on the verge of acquiring Rangers first baseman Mark Teixeira.

The deal is done, pending a review of the medical records of the players involved, according to major-league sources.

The Braves will receive Teixeira and left-handed reliever Ron Mahay.
    The Rangers will receive catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Class A shortstop Elvis Andrus and two pitching prospects.

One of the prospects is believed to be Class AA left-hander Matt Harrison.
    The Rangers had been split on whether they wanted Harrison, in part because he recently experienced shoulder trouble.

However, Harrison underwent an MRI that revealed no damage, and the Rangers evidently are willing to take him despite their concerns.

The addition of Teixeira, 27, would dramatically transform the Braves' lineup, giving them a second switch-hitter with power to join third baseman Chipper Jones.

The Braves rank fifth in the National League in runs scored, but their on-base/slugging percentage at first base is the worst in the majors.

Teixeira, who does not become a free agent until after next season, also would give the Braves lineup protection against the likely departure of center fielder Andruw Jones as a free agent this off-season.

The Angels also made a strong bid for Teixeira, offering first baseman Casey Kotchman and left-hander Joe Saunders. They were willing to include a third player, but not at the level the Rangers were seeking, sources said.

The Diamondbacks and Dodgers also had been interested in Teixeira, but neither was willing to trump the Braves' proposal.

Saltalamacchia, 22, is perhaps the single best player the Rangers were offered, a switch-hitting catcher with power who offers more upside than Kotchman.

The Braves were reluctant to part with "Salty," who also can play first base. But they would have no place to play him if they had Teixeria through '08; catcher Brian McCann is signed through 2012 with a club option for '13.
    Teixeira is earning $9 million this season, and his salary could rise to $12 million next season in his final year of arbitration.

It is almost certain he would not sign a contract extension before becoming a free agent; his agent, Scott Boras, prefers his clients' values to be determined on the open market.
    However, Teixeira attended Georgia Tech in Atlanta and might be open to signing with the Braves long-term.
    FOX Sports on MSN - MLB - Braves set to acquire Teixeira from Rangers

MLB ERA

Re: Teixeira To The Braves All But Official (Per Rosenthal)

That sounds like a lot to give up for someone who might not be here for the long term.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Can you guys really see the Braves giving Tex the supposed 20 million a year that Boras said negotiations would start at? I can't given the financial path the Braves have taken for quite some time.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I think this is huge for the Rangers to be honest. They just got the two best prospects from the Braves in Salty and Andrus. Matt Harrison isn't bad either.

Teixeira is more offense for the Braves, but what are they doing about their pitching?

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    I think this is huge for the Rangers to be honest. They just got the two best prospects from the Braves in Salty and Andrus. Matt Harrison isn't bad either.

Teixeira is more offense for the Braves, but what are they doing about their pitching?
    Ron Mahay isn't a bad set-up guy.
    I agree that the Rangers are a better team after the trade, because of the talent they receive in return.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

We don't need set-up guys. They need starters. Great move for the Rangers and move worst for the Braves.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Regardless of whether or not Atlanta keeps him, Texas couldn't pass up this deal. I think they're top need is pitching though and the return they got doesn't really seem to reflect that. I think the 2 best pieces they got were Salty and Elvis. Is Harrison that good? And I'm sure a dread PTBNL will be nothing special.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Harrison was the Braves #2 spect coming into the season(behind Salty), and Andrus was #3.

I don't know about this trade for the Braves. While it vastly improves their lineup, and doesn't take away any major needs(Catcher is blocked, Yunel can play SS, Harrison isn't ready anyway), it still seems like a little much for a contract guy.

MLB ERA

Harrison wasn't been called up due to the fact the Braves wanted to give me a full year in AA. I would want the same. Harrison looked good in SP so I was hoping to see him in a Braves uniform in the future but it looks like that won't happen now.

Quote Originally Posted by RotoWorld
    Matt Harrison has been removed from the Braves' Mark Teixeira proposal after being shut down with shoulder tendinits.
    Says FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal, the Braves are still offering Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Elvis Andrus for Teixeira, and they gave the Rangers a list of young pitchers to consider as Harrison's replacement. Jo-Jo Reyes isn't on said list, though he might yet be in play if Eric Gagne or C.J. Wilson is included along with Teixeira. The Braves and Angels have submitted the best proposals for Teixeira. Now it's up to the Rangers to pick one or decide they're better off keeping him.

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram says the Rangers will get Neftali Feliz along with Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Elvis Andrus and another pitching prospect from the Braves in the Mark Teixeira deal.
    It says nothing about Matt Harrison, though he may be the other pitching prospect. If so, this just gets even better for the Rangers. The 19-year-old Feliz had as much upside as any pitching in Atlanta's system.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA

Uh yeah. Braves got jacked, as they would all along.

Salty is just way to good now to make me think he is definetly going to pan out. Even if Andrus and Harrison don't, Salty has the potential to be a perennial All-Star catcher anyway. Rangers with a fantastic deal for once.

Now, Teix is definetly getting loaded through FA, just look at how much his trade value was. Boras will see this and definetly start things at $20 million (which no one should pay anyway) and probably get some pretty crazy money in the end.

Winners: Boras, Teixeira, Rangers.
    Losers: Atlanta Braves.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I have this argument going on somewhere else, but is Teixeira arbitration eligible after this season? Or is he a free agent?

MLB ERA

mission said he is arbitration eligible after 2007 and hits the free agent market after 2008.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Teixeira To The Braves (Now Official)

Yikes, Feliz too? If it's all four of those guys, wow.

I know the Braves tend to move the prospects that don't pan out and hang on to the good ones, but this is getting a little silly here.

The Braves overpaid...but I like this deal for them too. I guess I'm more optimistic about Schuerholtz's track record. A few things to consider.

A. The Braves have Brian McCann. I have a feeling his long-term stats fall in between his 2006 and his 2007 based on BABIP (it's pretty meh this year and very high last year, once the luck equalizes...), but we can all see he is a very nice catcher for the Braves. That diminishes the value of Jarrod Saltalamacchia to them. Sure, he could move to first base (where they now have Mark Teixeira), but his highest value for them was as trade bait for another team who could use Salty as a catcher. Plus, considering Salty's minor league stats were hit and miss, and that even at their respective peaks, Teixeira is more valuable at 1B than Salty, it's better for the Braves to take Mark.

B. Andrus is a toolsy middle infielder. He has a lot of talent, but those types of players are often boom or bust, which diminishes his value to me. Plus, he has had no real minor league success, which isn't necessary for the tools-based MI but nice to have.

C. Perez looks very promising, but he is still a rookie leaguer. Too far away to really assign a value.

Rotoworld's midseason Top 150 had Andrus outside the Top 100 (109th) and Perez as unlisted on their rankings. They suck at it, but still.

If it turns out to be Teixeira for Salty/Andrus/Perez/Scrub, then I think they overpaid only because Teixeira's going to be a very tough extension to make. But when a team has a chance to get a star caliber player, unless the price is truly prohibitive, they should try. The Sox did so for Josh Beckett and took on Mike Lowell as salary (who has performed) for Hanley Ramirez (probably the best player on either side), Anibal Sanchez (I believe he tore his labrum), and a couple other lesser prospects. Josh Beckett is performing really well, and both him and Lowell were all-stars. It was a win-win deal.

Just better hope Mark re-signs...
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    I have this argument going on somewhere else, but is Teixeira arbitration eligible after this season? Or is he a free agent?
    Quote Originally Posted by ATLien View Post
    mission said he is arbitration eligible after 2007 and hits the free agent market after 2008.
    01/17/06: Signed two-year, $15.4 million contract. 2007: $9.4 million, 2008: Arb. Eligible, 2009: Free Agent

Mission would be correct.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast