Thread: Wheeler and Wigginton Swap Teams

Wheeler and Wigginton Swap Teams

Ty Wigginton : Rotoworld.com - Ty Wigginton Biography from Rotoworld.com

Astros acquired infielder Ty Wigginton from the Devil Rays for RHP Dan Wheeler.
    The Astros could have gotten a couple of legitimate prospects for Wheeler, Instead, they moved him for yet another infielder who probably shouldn't be a starter for a contender. Between Adam Everett, Craig Biggio, Morgan Enbserg, Mark Loretta, Mike Lamb, Chris Burke and Eric Bruntlett, they now have seven infielders that can all be useful parts but possess clear deficiencies. The obvious problems with Wigginton are that he doesn't hit righties nearly as well as lefties and he's no asset defensively at second or third. As a part-time player, he can be quite useful, and if the Astros choose to platoon him with free-agent-to-be Mike Lamb next year, they'll get quite a bit of production out of third base. Still, they really should have gone in a different direction.

Rotoworld got it right. I don't get this trade for the Astros considering how much the Brewers raised the RP market in the Linebrink deal
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Wheeler and Wigginton Swap Teams

A completely bizarre trade for the 'Stros...while neither team will contend this year, Tampa has an up-and-coming offense and pitching staff and Wheeler can solidify the bullpen for a bit. I like this trade for the Rays.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Bench Warmer
    Rookie ERA

I don't understand this trade either. Adam Everett will come back sometimes next month. Morgan Ensberg plays sometimes, they always swap Loretta and Lamb in the left side of infield for the Astros. Mustn't they needed another? Perhaps another trade is in the works? I don't know actually.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I like this trade for the Astros and Rays. The Astros get a third baseman for next year as Lamb and Ensberg will be elsehwere. Loretta is likely to be traded here in the next few days. The Rays get a good setup man and can close if need be.

MLB ERA

I saw Morgan Ensberg was designated for assignment, meaning he will become a free-agent unless he agrees to go back down. There are several teams that could use his services at 3B, so he should stay in the bigs.
    This deal is a bit puzzling, isn't it?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

It's an awful deal for the Astros, who trade a fine reliever for a corner man who won't push them towards anything. Just more wheel spinning.

MLB ERA

Definitely a bad move for the Astros.

I've always liked Wheeler. Very solid.

Should have gotten more than Wigginton.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Wigginton is one hole filled on the cheap and he does produce. Now they can go spend money on a CFer this offseason without worrying about filling the third base hole.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Rays are listening to offers for the newly acquired Dan Wheeler, who is drawing interest from Seattle.
    The Mariners also like Al Reyes. The Rays would probably trade one, but not both. They have both under control through 2008, but Reyes will likely be cheaper to keep and he's already proven himself in the closer's role, unlike Wheeler.
    Interesting