Thread: [Trade Thoughts]: Thomas to Angels

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

[Trade Thoughts]: Thomas to Angels

May 22, 2005

BY CHRIS DE LUCA STAFF REPORTER Advertisement

Frank Thomas should be here.

The crosstown series this weekend between the White Sox and Cubs is missing something without Sammy Sosa, Magglio Ordonez, Moises Alou and Carlos Lee. Even Jose Valentin and his Sosa heart-tap impersonation are gone.

Thomas should be here to add a little star value.

That said, now would be a good time for the Sox to plan on trading him.

That's right, with Thomas doing well early in his rehabilitation assignment at Class AAA Charlotte, the Sox should begin shopping the former two-time MVP.

The Los Angeles Angels are desperate for a designated hitter. They got their first home run from a DH last Sunday, becoming the last team to do so when Juan Rivera belted a three-run shot against the Detroit Tigers.

Considering the Sox have the best record in baseball without Thomas, who won't be invited back next season, it seems like a good fit for both teams when he is ready to face major-league pitching next month. The Angels are probably one of the few teams to whom Thomas, who has veto rights, would approve a trade.

Here is a fact: Thomas, who turns 37 on Friday, is playing in his final season for the Sox. After this season, the Sox can buy out Thomas' contract for $3.5 million. That would get them out of spending $10 million for Thomas' services in 2006.

I promise you they plan to do whatever it takes to avoid paying Thomas $10 million in 2006 -- even if it means spending $3.5 million to cut ties.

An easier solution is trading Thomas before it gets to that point. Get something for him now before he walks away.

Thomas is earning $8 million this season. The Sox won't spend $3.5 million to dump him, then offer him arbitration. That means they won't even get a draft pick when he signs elsewhere.

Thomas remains a presence in any lineup. The Sox certainly could use him, but for the first time since he hit town, they have proved they can thrive without the Big Hurt.

The Angels entered the weekend hitting a league-worst .226 in May. Their DHs had combined for a league-low 12 RBI.

The Angels, who open a four-game series against the Sox on Monday in Anaheim, Calif., have struggled to score runs. But they entered the weekend with a 2-1/2-game lead in the AL West.

They need a big bat. Thomas needs to go.

''There will be a day I exit, believe it or not,'' Thomas said last month. ''I'm resigned to that fact. I know you won't be here forever.''

After 15 years of marriage, the Sox should get something more than a canceled check for $3.5 million when they part ways with Thomas.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/deluc...t-deluca22.htm

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I didn't think it was THAT bad for the Angels but hell yeah it is. Thomas could do them some good especially now that Vlad is hurt. His shoulder could be a bigger problem than they thought. Thomas hit 18 homers last year in only 74 games. The question is who are the Angels gonna trade for Thomas?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I'm not sure on that one. That was my question as well. Maybe one of their three catchers and and a pitcher. But tthat would just be my guess. But I guarantee that the White Sox are good on the pitching side. So, maybe it will be for prospects.

MLB ERA
    It's be easier to just bring Casey Kotchman back.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Kotchman isn't really tearing it up either.