Thread: Indians/Hafner Agree to 4yr Extension

MLB ERA

Indians Indians/Hafner Agree to 4yr Extension

Quote Originally Posted by RotoWorld
    According to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal, the Indians and Travis Hafner have agreed to a four-year, $57 million contract extension.
    Some of the money will be redirected towards his 2007 and 2008 salaries. The deal would lock him up through 2012. It looks like the Indians used the four-year, $52 million extension that David Ortiz signed in April 2006 as a guideline here. Both contracts cover the players' age 32-35 seasons.
    Good news for the Indians.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Indians/Hafner Agree to 4yr Extension

The Official Site of Major League Baseball: News: Major League Baseball News

says there is a club option for 2013. Good deal IMHO. Cleveland is trying to keep their core for a while. CC is up next with Sizemore and Peralta already signed.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cleveland just might win one sooner than later.

Awesome news for the Indians

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

definitely good news for them.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by RotoWorld
    Indians signed designated hitter Travis Hafner to a four-year, $52 million contract extension through the 2012 season with a club option for the 2013.
    According to the Plain Dealer, Hafner gets $11 million each in 2009 and 2010 and then $13 million each in 2011 and 2012. Most of the other $9 million will be added to his 2007 and 2008 salaries (previously $3.75 million this year and $4.75 million in 2008), with the remainder likely coming in the form of a buyout of the 2013 option. It's a pretty reasonable deal for Cleveland. Hafner isn't guaranteed to age well, but it's hard to imagine him not being at least a $10 million-per-year player in the latter half of the deal. Now it just remains to be seen whether there's still going to be room in the budget for C.C. Sabathia. Since he may want at least a Barry Zito-type contract, odds are that he's going to end up leaving as a free agent after 2008.
    More details on his new contact.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Great deal for the Indians. Hafner is a bona fide young star who can hit for average, power, and has great plate discipline. He has going to be a force in the middle of the lineup for years to come.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.