Thread: Indians ink Westbrook to a 3 year extension

08 AL Cy Young: Cliff Lee Pronk48's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

Indians ink Westbrook to a 3 year extension

Indians sign Westbrook to 3-year extension - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

Indians sign Westbrook to 3-year extension

April 13, 2007

AP - Apr 13, 6:36 pm EDT

CLEVELAND (AP) -- Instead of testing the free agent waters, Jake Westbrook decided to stay on the shores of Lake Erie.

Westbrook, eligible for free agency after this season, signed a three-year, $33 million contract extension through 2010 on Friday with the Cleveland Indians, who locked up a key starter.

If he had opted to play out the season, Westbrook may have been able to get a longer-term deal elsewhere. But from the outset, his goal was to stay with the Indians, who traded for him in 2000.

"It was very tempting but it came down to how comfortable I am and what's best for me and my family," he said. "This is where I wanted to be."

The Indians opened negotiations on a new contract with Westbrook during spring training, but were unable to finalize a deal with agents for the right-hander while the parties were in Florida.

However, enough progress was made to continue talks and the sides agreed to a deal "three or four days into the season," Indians assistant general manager Chris Antonetti said.

GM Mark Shapiro said convincing Cleveland owner Larry Dolan that Westbrook was worthy of a big-money deal was not difficult.

"There are times in this job where it's about gathering information from every source and making decisions on the information," Shapiro said. "Ultimately, what we are doing is betting on people.

"There is not a guy because of his character, his professionalism, his undying preparation in season and out of season, between starts and finally with his evolution as a leader on this team that's easier to bet on than Jake."

The 29-year-old Westbrook has been one of the AL's most reliable pitchers the past three seasons, winning 44 games. Since 2004, only Westbrook, teammate Cliff Lee, Minnesota's Johan Santana and Detroit's Kenny Rogers have won at least 14 games in each season.

Westbrook is also one of just eight starters to pitch at least 210 innings in the last three years. He went 15-10 last season, winning a major league-high eight games after Aug. 1.

The right-hander has a 56-53 career record with a 4.40 ERA. He made the All-Star team in 2004. Westbrook was acquired as part of a trade in 2000 when the Indians sent David Justice to the Yankees for Ricky Ledee.

Westbrook said the ongoing negotiations were a distraction -- when he was off the mound.

"I thought about it a lot," he said. "I was consumed with it a little bit. It has definitely been on my mind."

Now that Westbrook is signed, the Indians can focus on possible new deals for designated hitter Travis Hafner and left-hander C.C. Sabathia.

The club holds a $4.75 million option for next season on Hafner, who hit 42 homers with 117 RBIs in 2006. Sabathia, the Indians' No. 1 starter, isn't eligible for free agency until after the '08 season when he figures to be among the most prized players available.

Westbrook was asked if he'll tell his teammates to follow him and sign new deals.

"Shoot," he said. "I want them here. They are a big part of this and hopefully we can get something done."
    I sure am glad we got this done.I didn't want to see him become a Yankee.

Westbrook is integral to the Indians becoming a playoff team,lets hope Sabathia and Pronk both sign long-term extensions also.
    Cleveland Indians : 0-5, 5th AL Central
    Pittsburgh Pirates Record: 3-2. 1st NL Central

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Indians ink Westbrook to a 3 year extension

Westbrook used to be a Yankee. You can thank David Justice that Westbrook is currently a Cleveland Indian.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Indians ink Westbrook to a 3 year extension

nice!! good signing.

Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    Westbrook used to be a Yankee. You can thank David Justice that Westbrook is currently a Cleveland Indian.
    He used to be in the Yankee farm system,you're not a Yankee until you put in the uniform.

And I bet with the pitching woes the Yankees have had,they'd be all over Westbrook if he hit free agency.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Can he stay healthy? We'll take him!
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pronk48 View Post
    He used to be in the Yankee farm system,you're not a Yankee until you put in the uniform.
    He pitched in three games as a Yankee.

Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    He pitched in three games as a Yankee.
    I didn't realize that,I don't pay that much attention to the Evil Empire.