Thread: Shannon Stewart agrees to terms with A's

MLB ERA

A's Shannon Stewart agrees to terms with A's

ESPN's Buster Olney reports that the A's and Shannon Stewart have agreed to terms on a one-year deal.
    The contract could be worth $2.5 million if Stewart reaches incentives. The A's needed to bring in some additional competiton with Jay Payton gone. Stewart may no longer be able to play regularly because of his foot problems, but he could still be an asset at the top of the lineup playing three or four times per week. He'll battle Dan Johnson for at-bats, with Nick Swisher possibly alternating between first base and left field. The A's could also use Swisher in right and Milton Bradley in center when Mark Kotsay rests his sore back.
    Source: RotoWorld
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    uhhhh...ok

MLB ERA
    I didn't see that coming.....

MLB ERA
    Athletics signed outfielder Shannon Stewart, who had been with the Twins, to a one-year, $1 million contract.
    He can make an extra $1.5 million in incentives. Stewart, who turns 33 later this month, hit .293/.347/.368 in a 2006 season in which foot problems limited him to 44 games. If he can still run around the outfield, he'll likely be a nice part-time player for the A's. What playing time he gets will come at the expense of Dan Johnson and Bobby Kielty.
    Source: RotoWorld
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    another Billy Beane low-risk move...the money ball philosophy is in full-effect. The latest market weakness has been for players who have an injury history...small contract with incentives = low-risk / high-benefit

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

If he stays healthy, he will be a nice addition. He can be the leadoff hitter. I like this move,only if he remains healthy!

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by A'sDiehard
    I didn't see that coming.....
    I was a little surprised myself, I had to double check that was looking at it right.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

I think that surprised all of us. I am surprised that the Twins would let him go. He did a nice job when healthy for them in the leadoff spot. Sometimes our faovorite team's GM actually surprises us and make positive transactions.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    the money ball philosophy is in full-effect.
    There it is. As A's fans we just wait until everybody reports, check the roster and Let's Go A's!!

Can't wait until we have some real revenues.