Thread: Reds sign Guardado

MLB ERA

Reds sign Guardado

To a minor leage deal.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Certainly worth a risk at only a minor league contract. If he's anything close to his old form it could be a steal.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Really, this is one of my more favorite offseason moves of Krivsky (goes to show you how much I liked his other transactions.) Everday Eddie seemed to have a new lease on life (as a closer) in the Reds BP, he came over and really carried the pen while energizing those guys as well. He showed some dominance with a more impressive K rate than he was posting with Seattle, and as crazy as it was, I actually thought right before the injury that we could have a chance of making the playoff with an additional move since we seemed to have a closer who could get it down. Who knows how he will bounce back from surgery, but he's a good presence for the team and being on a MLC... it can't hurt.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Too bad he won't be ready til half way through the season. Not really a good signing.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    At best mid-way though. I have heard some say late May (which is probably Eddie talking), but I am hoping he can be the August boost for a tired pen. I don't see how it isn't a good signing though, not that it's great, but the Reds don't lose anything and I don't think they are banking on Guardado to save the day. It beats signing or trading for relievers who are sure to regress like they have been doing for the most part last season, at least the damage done will be minimal in a financial sense.

MLB ERA
    Low Risk/High Reward, even if he sits at Louisville rehabbing most of the year he could still be helpful with the younger guys who could use tips on various stuff or just the experience of everything. Guardado was very good for us last year, if he comes back in May/July and is any help its well worth the risk.

The Alex Gonzalez deal I attributed to the market forces (comparing his deal to some others really isnt horrible/compared to what youll get out of him).

Saarloos I like the potential that deal has. If he can get the same ground forces he got in Oakland he could be a very nice swing man/back of the rotation starter. Maybe he'll pull a Harang and become a candidate for top of the rotation consideration .
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Reefer- For a MLC and for a half a season, This is a really smart signing. Id rather give the MLC to Eddie before the 12 M that Jamie Walker got for a full season.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I just don't see this helping anyone. Its just a pointless transaction IMO.

MLB ERA
    I never have a problem with an MLC on someone who could help at any time...unless it's Sammy Sosa.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    It's like the Giants signing Damian Moss to a MLC. What good does it do?

MLB ERA
    Well, at least Guardado has done something in his career. Damian Moss just plain sucks.

MLB ERA
    If you sign anyone who has allstar stuff to a MLC is really a steal, definetly nothing to lose, allot to gain.