Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Rumor] Giambi back to the A's?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

[Rumor] Giambi back to the A's?

Two seperate reports say that A's GM Billy Beane would be interested in Jason Giambi if the Yanks were to put him on waivers and the Yanks ate 90%of his remaining contract.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/sports/ci_2727481

http://www.newsday.com/sports/printe...y-sports-print

Yanks have head talks about a possible minor league stint to get Giambi more ab's and to find his swing again. They will give Jason some more time but not a lot. If he doesn't come out of it, the Yanks would be dumb not to do this trade. But as in the first article says, he must have a clean bill of health.

AA ERA
    That ain't happening.

A's may be desparate for offense, but why would they want him when he has nothing left. Why would they want him after he slammed the organization and city?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Exactly what the atricle says. Beane feels that Giambi can't be himself in pinstripes. If he goes back to Oakland, the media goes away and he can let his hair down and relax a little.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Steak
    That ain't happening.

A's may be desparate for offense, but why would they want him when he has nothing left. Why would they want him after he slammed the organization and city?

If he came cheap I could see them giving him a shot.

When did he slam the organization and City? I know he was upset about the contract offer but I don't recall him slamming the A's and the City of Oakland. What did he say?

MLB ERA
    I'm sure Billy Beane also said he would take Alex Rodriguez if the Yankees paid the A's to take him.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Giambi's done...I'd be shell shocked if this idea was even being entertained, nevermind even happen!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber
    I'm sure Billy Beane also said he would take Alex Rodriguez if the Yankees paid the A's to take him.
    I don't get it.

MLB ERA
    Who ISN'T going to accept someone who could potentially be a great player for the team if they only have to pay 10% of their contract?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Giambi's OBP is .386. He still has a great command of the strike zone. Get him out of New York where he can relax for a change and then see how he does. If he still struggles, then he is done. 34 yr old former MVP's know how to play the game, steroids or not.

Putting A-Rod to shame A's Baby Girl's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    Hell no, hell no, HELL NO.

This better be just a rumor.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc

When did he slam the organization and City? I know he was upset about the contract offer but I don't recall him slamming the A's and the City of Oakland. What did he say?
    Giambi did a skit for David Letterman the day he signed with the Yankees. He was slamming the city of Oakland I believe for Letterman's Top 10 jokes. He even took a dig at New Jersey too for some odd reason. I guess he needed to be cool.

Here's what Jason said about the A's organization in his return:
    http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NAS..._oak&fext=.jsp

Living in the NY area and being obessed with NY sports teams, I don't forget stuff like this ever. I remember everything that goes with NY sports teams like an elephant.

Putting A-Rod to shame A's Baby Girl's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    BTW, I read both articles and I can hardly call these 'reports'. These are just the columinists' speculation and opinion about what MAY happen with Giambi. They're not really reporting anything

My question is why would the Yanks pay $72 million to let someone else have him? If they decide to do a buyout you're looking at 50-60 cents to the dollar, meaning they'll pay roughly $50 million to drop him.

With that said, why pay $22 million EXTRA? However, if I had to pay 90% of his salary, I'm making sure I talk to more than one team. JMO.....

I don't like Giambi but it makes no sense to pay 90% just to drop him. If they could get him to accept 60-70 % that might a good deal.

I would love to see him go back to Oakland.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    aint happenin.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast