Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Todd Helton to Boston for Lowell and prospects?

MLB ERA

Todd Helton to Boston for Lowell and prospects?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2745139

If this goes through, Boston is going to have a killer lineup 3-7, Ramirez, Papi, Helton and Drew(if he stays healthy)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I'll laugh if a prospect reliever ends up killing this deal.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

I think there's too much risk in Helton to do it. He's aging on a normal bell curve which means he'll crash really soon, and with him being paid through 2011...well, is an above average 1B for a third of that time worth it? Especially for actual talent?
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Yeah I agree with Fish, I looked up Helton's numbers compared it to his 04 year where he hit .347 32hr 96 RBI OPS 1.089, 05 he hit .320 20 hr, 79 rbi, OPS .979 last year hit .305 15 hr, 81 rbi, OPS .880

I would think a Lowell and a prospect for Helton would be a fair deal.

MLB ERA
    Why would the Rockies have any interest in Lowell? Atkins has come on and is at least adequate at 3B. Do they want Lowell to learn to play 1B, a position he hasn't played in the bigs?
    Maybe he could do it, but I wouldn't like to watch him trying to learn the footwork over there.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Helton's only good in Coors.. and his homeruns are declining and his contract is huge, so I don't think it'll be a good trade

Sox should grow Hansen and Declarmen to support the Sox bullpen in the future. Hansen as a closer and Declarmen as the setup.

MLB ERA
    Helton isn't only good in Coors - he's only incredibly great in Coors. He's a pretty good player outside of Coors over his career. Though he's obviously beginning what should be a steep decline right now, and will render him useless in a few years time.

I think this is a bad deal for Boston no matter how it works out. If they give up less in player value, they're taking on more money (which will be dead money by the time Helton is 2 or 3 years into the deal and terrible). If they take less money, they're giving up way more than Helton will be worth.

The Rockies would want Lowell because he'd be an expendable part after Boston acquires Helton (thus moving Youkilis to third), and he's got enough salary for Boston to maybe say "Hey, it's worth it to acquire Helton if we dump Lowell and Clement."

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

Folks lets not forget there is more to baseball that home runs. Helton is still a quality 6 or 7 hitter in a line-up. He will strive with a short RF porch in Fenway and stills has power to the alleys and drives in runs. He would be good protection at the bottom of the Red Sox line-up!!! Plus he still is a very good firstbaseman!!!! I think this is a good trade for the Sox and they can move Youklis (sp.) back to 3B!!!! I say pull the trigger Theo!!!

Wait.. does anyone know how much he gets in a year? More than Lowell?

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

I don't think money is an issue for Boston!!! They have one of the highest payrolls in baseball!

MLB ERA
    Lowell makes 9 million per through either 07 or 08.
    Helton makes 90 million total through 2011.

MLB ERA
    Todd Helton is in the midst of a steep decline!!! He isn't the same Helton from 3 or 4 years ago!!! Trading for his albatross contract is suicidal!!!!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Let's not forget that Helton wasn't healthy last year and he still hit over .300 and was 7th in OBP. The guy would eat it up in Boston. He's a career .333 hitter and hits .294 on the road so you can't just say its all Coors field. I doubt this deal goes down because the Rockies would be getting anything they really need. Rockies do have a stud prospect at first, but they don't need to trade Helton just to trade him.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

Helton still has a lot of baseball life left in him! IMO, I still think he will flourish in Fenway!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    IMO, He will only play in Boston because of interleague play. Rockies have no reason to take Lowell. Atkins > Lowell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast