Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LaRoche Traded For Gonzalez

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

LaRoche Traded For Gonzalez

The Pittsburgh Pirates, filling their need for a left-handed power bat, acquired first baseman Adam LaRoche from the Atlanta Braves on Wednesday for lefty reliever Mike Gonzalez, two sources confirmed to ESPN.com.

ESPN.com could not immediately confirm if other players were involved in the deal.

LaRoche hit 32 homers and drove in 90 runs last season and finished in a tie for seventh in the National League with a .561 slugging percentage.

Gonzalez went 3-4 with 24 saves and a 2.17 ERA for the Pirates in 2006.
    Can't see why the Braves would do this as they have no way of replacing him offensively. Maybe they can trade for Ben Broussard of the M's.

MLB ERA
    Gonzalez better not be the only player in the deal.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

AA ERA
    I'd be willing to bet that Duffy or McLouth was included also being that the Braves are looking for Andruw Jones eventual replacement.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

MLB ERA
    Braves got ripped off IMO if they only got Gonzalez.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantsFan83
    Braves got ripped off IMO if they only got Gonzalez.
    I don't think Gonzalez was it. JS should know better than that.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by DravenX
    I don't think Gonzalez was it. JS should know better than that.
    I think it is, because I went on ESPN.com and it said that the Braves/Pirates had been talking about LaRoche/Gonzalez deal for weeks, plus after looking at Gonzalez's numbers, I dont think its a fair deal, Gonzalaez went 3-4 28 saves and 2.17 ERA.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    There has to be someone else involved. You don't trade your starting first baseman who hit 32 homers and drove in 90 for just a setup guy. The reason the trade was stalled all this time is because they hadn't come to an agreement on who was joining Gonzalez on the plane ride to Atlanta.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    At least one prospect from each organization is involved in the Mike Gonzalez-Adam LaRoche deal, MLB.com reports.
    Beyond Andrew McCutchen and Neil Walker, neither of whom should be on the table, the Pirates don't have any obvious candidates to even up the deal from Atlanta's perspective. Brad Eldred is now very expendable, but he lost most of his value last year. Perhaps the Braves are looking to take a chance on Bryan Bullington or John Van Benschoten. Reliever Josh Sharpless is another who might be of interest.
    That's it? Shitty!!

I must say, this deal blows.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal says the Braves are believed to be getting a minor league infielder along with Mike Gonzalez in exchange for Adam LaRoche and a prospect.
    It still seems doubtful that first baseman Brad Eldred is involved after his 2006 was ruined by injury. The Pirates' best infield prospect is shortstop Brent Lillibridge, and he'd make a lot of sense. Though he's not going to contribute this year, he'd have a better chance than Chris Duffy of turning into a long-term regular for Atlanta. There's yet to be any clue about the identity of the second player going to Pittsburgh. It's likely to be a lesser talent.
    Kelly Johnson and Scott Thorman replacing Giles and LaRoche doesn't spell success to me.

The Beaver County Times reports that the Braves will acquire Mike Gonzalez and Brent Lillibridge from the Pirates for Adam LaRoche and Jamie Romak.
    The 21-year-old Romak is a long shot, but the pickup is still noticable given that he's everything that the Pirates typically don't look for in an outfield prospect. He hit .247/.369/.471 for low Single-A Rome last season and has little in the way of speed. Lillibridge is the clearly superior talent, though it's up for debate whether he'll make it as a regular shortstop. The 23-year-old hit .305/.419/.480 with 53 steals while splitting 2006 between A-ball teams. With the Braves getting a second useful part, this looks like a fair deal for both teams. We're not optimistic LaRoche will stay at his 2006 level of performance, but we also have doubts about Gonzalez ever turning into a guy who can be counted on for 65-70 innings per season. The trade is expected to be officially announced on Thursday or Friday.

Better this way.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    I guess the Braves are willing to sacrifice offense for better pitching, especially in the bullpen.

MLB ERA
    I believe we have the offense we need, but as last season proved the pitching was awful.

*had

MLB ERA
    Laroche was a ****ing windfarm anyway.

Gonzalez could definetly close too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast