Thread: Mark Loretta to Houston.

MLB ERA

Astros Mark Loretta to Houston.

1 year, 2.5 mil. Could be 3.5 mil with incentives.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2719795
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Not a bad deal for a guy who has been on the decline. He could potentially have a pretty solid season in that ballpark in Houston. It's a much better deal than the rumored (and I am pretty sure it was completely fabricated) deal that the Reds offered him.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    How does a guy this good become a utility guy? The guy hit .285 last year.

AA ERA
    It was said that Texas was offering more money but that Houston was a better situation for him. Either park for either team is a hitters haven, if I knew I was going to be no more than a utility guy I would have atleast taken the best deal financially.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    I have always like Loretta. I wish the Brewers would have signed him to return as their utility player. He was their SS once. He did a fine job. Better suited as a 2B, but can play all infield positions as well. He is still a good #2 bat. Sort of surprised the Red Sox didn't re-sign him.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19
    I have always like Loretta. I wish the Brewers would have signed him to return as their utility player. He was their SS once. He did a fine job. Better suited as a 2B, but can play all infield positions as well. He is still a good #2 bat. Sort of surprised the Red Sox didn't re-sign him.
    The Red Sox wanted to hand over the job to Pedroia, which I think was the best option.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    Couldnt they sign him to be the utility player and then you have a nice backup plan if Pedroia fizzles? I think that would have been a nice option for Boston.

AA ERA
    That could have been a possibility although I think the Sox wanted to focus most of their money on pitching after signing Lugo and sooner or later finishing the contract with Drew.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    But Loretta still has starter capabilies. The Nationals should have gone after him leaving Lopez at SS and Guzman's ass on the bench.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    Well, I think Loretta is better than Lugo. Just my opinion. And Loretta still has starter ability.