Thread: Blue Jays Ink Thomson

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Blue Jays Ink Thomson

The Blue Jays have reportedly come to terms with free agent John Thomson on a one-year, $500,000 contract.
    We can't remember the last time we were this strongly in favor of a J.P. Ricciardi move. Taking price into account, Thomson was the best gamble left out there for a team in need of a starting pitcher. He'll have to compete for a rotation spot, but he could easily emerge as the Jays' No. 3 starter over Gustavo Chacin

Even though he has been injured the past two seasons, I still can't believe someone got him for this cheap. Good pickup for the Jays!

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    He's been injured and the statistics haven't been pretty, but for the market, this is a very nice signing. Assuming his physical looked good, it could prove to be a steal for the Jays even if Thomson is an average 5th starter.

MLB ERA
    Thomson did pretty decent in 05 but last year was not so pretty. I had a feeling the Braves wouldn't resign him. Nice pick-up for the Jays.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

AA ERA
    I have to agree with reefer and mission here, this was a low risk, high reward type move that could end up working out very nicely for the Jays. If it doesn't, it cost them a mere $500,000 which in this years offseason market is a hell of a bargain.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett