Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Randy Johnson back to the NL west?

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    It would be good for the Dbacks to get Johnson as he wouldn't be relied on to be the ace or even a #2 guy. Johnson would do a lot better in the NL West than the AL East. Webb, Hernandez, Johnson and then Davis is pretty sick. But the Dbacks shouldn't have to offer top prospects for a 43 year old who had an ERA over 5 last season.
    You make want me to throw up by supporting the Diamondbacks, and you're a self-proclaimed Giants fan.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer
    i dont see one word about chad tracy.

Neither do I but Linebrink is true. I didnt think the DBacks were that dumb.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Arizona's Intrest

NEW YORK (AP) -- If the New York Yankees are serious about trading Randy Johnson, the Arizona Diamondbacks would love to have him back.

Arizona confirmed its talks with New York about the Big Unit, who won four Cy Young Awards with the Diamondbacks from 1999-2004, but thus far the Yankees' asking price has been too high.

"There's no activity at this point," Diamondbacks general partner Jeff Moorad said Tuesday. "The Diamondbacks as an organization have a tremendous amount of respect for Randy, yet also recognize he's under contract to the Yankees. If there's ever an opportunity that made sense to reacquire him, we'd be at the head of the line."

The San Diego Padres and San Francisco Giants also have talked with New York about Johnson, a baseball official who had been briefed on the talks said, speaking on condition of anonymity because no deal had been agreed to.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman declined comment on Johnson, and Padres GM Kevin Towers didn't return messages seeking comment.

If the Yankees do trade Johnson, who is owed $16 million next year in the final season of his contract, New York would consider pursuing Barry Zito, the top available starting pitcher on the free-agent market.
    New York will probably have to dish out some money and someone else if they want to get rid of that contract.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk
    You make want me to throw up by supporting the Diamondbacks, and you're a self-proclaimed Giants fan.
    I'm not supporting the Dbacks. That said, I am a baseball fan first and then a Giants fan. I am for every team being competitive which is why I like the NL.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    If you are a diehard fan of any of the Dbacks' division rivals, you hope that Brian Cashman robs Josh Byrnes big time. An example is that butthead Omar Minaya agreed to take Shawn Green off the Dbacks' books.

MLB ERA
    I think the reason why AZ might be offering so much for RJ is because there assuming that RJ might be dominant again in AZ, its not a coincidence that he's struggling because of NY and that crap ass NY media.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    IMO, Johnson is MOST definitely in hais downward side of his career. I wouldn't give up too much, but being close to home, he may have 1-2 good years left in him.

MLB ERA
    The Newark Star-Ledger says Randy Johnson could be on his way back to Arizona as soon as Saturday.
    A baseball official said that while several complicated details remained to be worked out -- mostly involving deferred money owed to Johnson by the Diamondbacks --a deal could be done soon. The report didn't mention what the Yankees would be getting in return.
    Source: RotoWorld
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    interesting, very interesting... and who/what would the Yankees get in return?

MLB ERA
    Randy Johnson is believed to be seeking a one-year extension worth about $12 million as part of a deal to the Diamondbacks.
    Things could be held up because he's currently vacactioning in Hawaii. The Yankees apparently are willing to pay a portion of Johnson's $16 million salary in 2006 if it nets them the package of players they'd like in return. They've already been turned down in their request for Conor Jackson, but they could settle for either Luis Vizcaino or Brandon Medders along a couple of Arizona's better pitching prospects.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    man...I wouldn't even sign Johnson at this point, never mind trade quality specs for him

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    I would be a little hestitant in signing him too... Maybe the D-Backs will make him their closer for a couple of years. Maybe that is the deal they are making him? Who knows. Maybe they want to re-sign him to put fans in the seats this year, who knows?

MLB ERA
    The Yankees trade talks with the Diamondbacks have slowed over the structuring of a potential contract extension for Randy Johnson, a person with knowledge of the negotiations told the New York Daily News.
    The D'Backs apparently would like to sign Johnson for 2008, but they want to be creative about it. For one thing, they have only about $10 million to spend in 2007 and Johnson is due $16 million. The Yankees could help there in return for more talent. Arizona could also try to do away with some of the $40 million in deferred money Johnson is still owed by the team, with a future stake in ownership one possibility. A trade remains likely if Johnson wants it to happen. According to the East Valley Tribune, the Yankees could settle for two players from a group of four pitchers: Brandon Medders, Dustin Nippert, Ross Ohlendorf and Micah Owings.

MLB ERA
    The Diamondbacks have reportedly requested a 72-hour window in order to negotiate an extension with Randy Johnson.
    The request could be granted before the end of the day. If true, this should mean the players involved in the Johnson trade have been agreed to. The East Valley Tribune reported Sunday that the Yankees could get two players from a group of four: Brandon Medders, Dustin Nippert, Ross Ohlendorf and Micah Owings.

MLB ERA
    A source told USA TODAY that a Randy Johnson deal between the Yankees and Diamondbacks will get done this week.
    The Yankees are reportedly set to get three players -- a major league reliever and two pitching prospects -- so it looks like they'll be paying a substantial portion of the $16 million that Johnson was owed. It was previously reported the Diamondbacks would have to give up just the two prospects if they were going to pay all or nearly all of Johnson's salary. The reliever the Yankees are getting is probably Brandon Medders, though Luis Vizcaino has also been mentioned. Dustin Nippert, Ross Ohlendorf and Micah Owings were the prospects most frequently coming up in talks.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast