Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cubs sign Lilly to four-year, $40 million contract

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    We just disagree on this one. Drew did nothing to earn him a raise, Maddux making $10 mil/yr for a 4.20 ERA is insane, Borowski getting 4 mil after failing a physical is insane. Yes there are some sane bargains but now the GMs who have been quiet are going through trades. Smart GMs know there is more talent out there next year.

MLB ERA
    Drew earned himself a raise by opting out at the perfect time.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    The Orioles have reportedly acquired Freddie Bynum from the Cubs for a player to be named.
    The Cubs see Ryan Theriot getting some outfield time next season, and it appeared they didn't want to leave room for both Bynum and Angel Pagan. Bynum showed surprising pop last season, batting .257/.308/.456 in 136 at-bats. He shouldn't be expected to put up that line again, and he's really not much more than a 25th man, though his ability to play second makes him rather useful. What this trade should do is make David Newhan expendable in Baltimore. However, odds are that the club will keep both. Bynum is out of options, so he can't be sent down.
    Trades like this McKain do not make my point

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by McKain
    Drew earned himself a raise by opting out at the perfect time.
    LOL Myabe so but his performance, which they are getting paid for, did not.

MLB ERA
    Yeah, I was being a little bit sarcastic with my post about Drew. He sure knew how the market was gonna unfold, though.

And yes, the Orioles stink for getting a clone of David Newhan and I wanted to post it here and laugh at it but it was too unnoteworthy for me to giggle at, I felt.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    IMO-overpaid!!! But again, that is the market. The two things Lilly has going for him as a Cub. One, he is a lefty and second, his offensive support should be awesome with the lineup the Cubs will have. The Yankees of the NL, all offense, not enough pitching!

MLB ERA
    Yeah, and his stuff is much better suited for the NL. I like him, but for around 7.5, not 10.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    IMO, your idea of 7.5 mil. is still too much. I guess that I am a bit conservative, and paying that kind of dough, I would expect a little more production. But maybe a change of scenery for him too will do him wonders!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12