Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JD Drew to sign with Red Sox for 5/70

MLB ERA

JD Drew to sign with Red Sox for 5/70

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...sox/index.html

Goes from 11 per over 3 with his old contract with the Dodgers to 14 per over 5 here, pretty smart move by him.

If the Sox play Drew in center this deal should work out wonderfully.

MLB ERA
    He's gonna choke worse than ARod.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    J.D. Drew ... at least he's an upgrade over Trot Nixon?

MLB ERA
    He's a pretty substantial upgrade over Nixon. Probably going to play in 30 more games than Nixon would have, too.

MLB ERA
    Good move for the Sox.

He is a quality player.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

More wasted $$$ by the big markets. He will probably be injuried in Spring Training and miss several games and collecet huge $$$.

AA ERA
    I personally like Drew, IF he can stay healthy. If he can stay healthy playing CF which is where I believe he will end up then his bat will surely do well in Fenway.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

Oh, I agree about his talent, that is not what I meant i guess. I just think that is a lot of $$$ for a player with major injuries in his career. Thats all I saying!

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    His last injury was really a fluke injury as it can happen to anyone and not something due to the physical nature of his body. Not counting that, he's been pretty healthy for awhile now. I don't know if that streak will hold up over five, but given his talents and age... it's a great move for a team like the Red Sox who could afford the risk.

As for Drew and Boras.... sweet deal. He gets a bigger deal per year plus more years, on a contract many felt he was overpaid on, gotta love the '06 market.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

I still think it is risky either way you look at it, but devil's advocate here, it could happen to anyone. So mission, fair enough on your post! And you are right about the '06 market also! Wow! That is all I can say. money, money, MONEY! (you know the song) Sing it with me people!

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    It's risky, without question, but for the teams with the cash, it has the chance to be worth the payout if they can stomach the risk. Especially when you consider what guys like Soriano, Lee or Pierre got, none the overall talent or impact Drew has the chance to be... it's a deal that makes a lot of sense for a smart baseball team like the Sox.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    It's risky, without question, but for the teams with the cash, it has the chance to be worth the payout if they can stomach the risk. Especially when you consider what guys like Soriano, Lee or Pierre got, none the overall talent or impact Drew has the chance to be... it's a deal that makes a lot of sense for a smart baseball team like the Sox.
    This is why you have to love Mission, a BoSox fan at heart haha.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I still can't believe he got more money than he did in LA. GM's are ****ing nuts!

AA ERA
    I believe this years winter meetings was more of a "let's sit in a circle indian style, talk and make trades and crazy signings, and last but certainly not least, smoke hash!" type deal.

MLB ERA
    Only a handful of the GMs have been nuts - the rest are quite sane. Sanity is falling in line with what the market dictates, which most GMs have done since the ridiculous deals of Soriano/Matthews/Pierre setting the rest of the dominoes up.

14 mil for Drew, in the 06 market, is fair value considering the vastly inferior guys who got 9-10 mill.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast