Thread: Red Sox also sign Julio Lugo 4/36

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Red Sox also sign Julio Lugo 4/36

Renteria > Lugo

ESPNews is reporting that the Red Sox and Julio Lugo have agreed to terms on a four-year, $36 million contract.
    A very expensive day for Boston, and we're guessing that spending $106 million on a couple of non-superstars won't go over particularly well. However, Lugo, like Drew, is an underrated defender with quality on-base skills. If he plays like he did in 2005 and the first half of 2006, he's worth $9 million per year in this market. Still, like every other deal this winter, this is one year too long. The Red Sox can now put Dustin Pedroia at second base and leave him there. They also might be more open to trading Coco Crisp since they have another option at the top of the order. Dec. 5 - 9:54 pm et

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I had no idea how putrid Lugo was with the Dodgers. Gotta love those rare instances with a horrible OBP actually tops a horrible SLG%.

SEASONTEAMGABRH2B3BHRRBIBBSOSBCSAVGOBPSLGOPS
    2006LA49146163251010122965.219.278.267.545

MLB ERA
    This move doesn't impress me as much.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

Teams seem really high on Lugo also. Me, on the other hand, not real impressed with Lugo. Is he going to be their SS then? Cause if so, that could be a reason for concern. If he is that good of a SS, then why didn't more teams go after him and make them their SS after the trade deadline?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Lugo's asking price was high but they finally came down for the Dodgers. Rays got Guzman who could be a nice piece for the Rays sometime.

Red Sox be crazy.

No really. Insane. This is Rent-a-Wreck all over again, except with a worse player. I'm not convinced Lugo can do anything in a high pressure environment.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

AA ERA
    The Drew signing I liked, with this one lacking my approval. I realize Boston didn't have many other options left on the market and I am sure they were uncertain if they would be able to move Manny in order to get the Closer AND SS they needed. I think that was a big factor in them having to over pay for Lugo.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett