Thread: Cardinals extend Chris Carpenter

MLB ERA

Cardinals extend Chris Carpenter

The Cardinals have extended Chris Carpenter through 2011 with a club option for 2012. The deal is worth about $65 million.
    Carpenter had been signed at $7 million for 2007 with an $8 million option for 2008. The Cardinals will now pay him $9 million in 2008 as part of the new agreement and added three guaranteed years plus a club option for 2012. If the new option is exercised, the deal would be worth about $77 million.
    Source: The Associated Press

Cardinals agreed to terms with RHP Chris Carpenter on a five-year, $65 million contract with a club option for 2012.
    Even in this market, we don't like it. The Cardinals already had Carpenter under control for $15 million over the next two years, so they're essentially paying $50 million for the following three years. Now, if he keeps pitching like this, he's definitely worth that kind of cash. However, two years is an awful long time, especially for someone with a history of shoulder troubles. Giving him this kind of extension now is a terribly risky move.
    Source: RotoWorld
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Amazing. About 13 million for a better pitcher than the market pitcher, and for less money. Great ass move.

MLB ERA
    Of course it is a good move.

We know who made it.

A few bitter Yankees/Mets fans angry over not winning a World Series this past season probably write for rotoworld though and are whining about the Cards as a result.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    Yeah, well these guys are ****ing ridiculous. He's shown no injury history, pitched extremely well the past 3 years, and is the ace of their staff. Plus they got him at less than market value for a 2nd starter, let alone an ace...

What's not to ****ing like?

MLB ERA
    I agree.

The "injury HISTORY" they speak of is more a "injury EVENT."
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

While I really like the move, let's be fair. Carp has an injury history. He missed two and a half seasons before emerging for St. Louis and had a partial season earlier. I like him a lot. But two+ years doesn't make it an incident, it's a history.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    That event being a severe shoulder problem that few thought he could come back from at the time. That said, he's shown he's durable, and this contract doesn't take him past his mid-30s. Probably a bit early for this deal, though.

MLB ERA
    Well, I like the timing. They're right off of a WS, and they know he's worth it. Also, about his relative injuries, that doesn't stop someone like Carl Pavano, a pitcher of significantly less value, from getting around the same figures.

For once, I love a Cardinals move.

MLB ERA
    It's pratically ancient history in baseball terms, so at this point I call it an event.

An event in the past.

One that I see no signs of cropping up again.