Thread: Tom Glavine stay with Mets

MLB ERA

Tom Glavine stay with Mets

ESPN's Peter Gammons is reporting that Tom Glavine has chosen to stay with the Mets on a one-year deal.
    It looks like the Braves never did make an offer. New York is clearly where Glavine belongs right now. The Mets will still pursue Barry Zito, but the urgency to add him isn't quite what it would have been had Glavine gone home.
    Source: Rotoworld

Well I was hoping I would see Glavine in a Braves uniform next season but I had my doubts.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    According to The Associated Press, Tom Glavine's one-year deal with the Mets will be worth $10.5 million.
    There doesn't appear to be an option for 2008 included. The Mets are set to announce the deal later this afternoon.
    Pretty much a no brainer here as the Mets have little to be excited about in the starting pitching dept. Pedro won't start the season so why let your #2 guy go?

MLB ERA
    Here is a little more.

Glavine says he's returning to Mets
    Left-hander had been considering return to Braves

By DAVID O'BRIEN
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 12/01/06

Tom Glavine's flirtation with the Braves is over and he's decided to return for a fifth season with the New York Mets, the veteran left-hander confirmed this afternoon to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

It's believed to be a one-year contract, though Glavine didn't get into details in a brief conversation. An announcement by the Mets was expected shortly.

Glavine is 10 wins shy of being the 23rd pitcher to reach 300, and had hoped to come back to Atlanta to get those 10 wins with the team he was with for his first 242 wins during 1987-2002.

But the Braves, with less need for a top starter and less money to spend for one, couldn't compete with the Mets' offer, believed to be worth at least $11 million.

Glavine notched five 20-win seasons won two Cy Young Awards with the Braves, and was also the 1995 World Series MVP.

After struggling for 2-1/2 seasons with the Mets, he revamped his approach and was 26-14 with a 3.22 ERA in his past 53 starts, including 2-1 with a 1.59 ERA in three during the 2007 postseason.

He was 15-7 with a 3.82 ERA and 198 innings pitched in 32 starts during the regular season.

The Mets told Glavine they'd wait while he explored returning to the Braves. He still lives in Alpharetta and desired to be home during the baseball season instead of flying his family to New York on weekends and visiting them on the Mets' days off.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    According to The Associated Press, Tom Glavine's one-year deal with the Mets will be worth $10.5 million and includes a player option for 2008.
    The AP has gone from reporting no option to saying there's a player option, but only if he pitches 160 innings next season. According to the report, Glavine can return for 2008 at $6 million if he pitches 160 innings next year. The price of the option would increase by $1 million for each additional 10 innings up to a maximum price of $10 million. The report still doesn't say whether there's a no-trade clause, but we're guessing there is.
    Source: The Associated Press