Thread: Danys Baez to Orioles

MLB ERA

Danys Baez to Orioles

The Orioles and Danys Baez have reportedly agreed to terms on a three-year deal worth $5 million-$6 million per season.
    It's not the $7 million per year Baez was asking for, but it's good enough to get him to pass up chances to close elsewhere. The 29-year-old Baez looks like a better addition to the Baltimore pen than Jamie Walker. Although he's coming off a poor year, he's proven that he can handle AL East competition and he's been durable. In this market, it's a reasonable contract.
    Source: Source: Baltimore Sun
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    The bullpen is looking real nice, but too bad that the rotation is a heap of dog crap.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    The rotation looks better than last year so far.

MLB ERA
    According to The Associated Press, Danys Baez's contract with the Orioles will be worth $19 million over three years.
    That's more than the Baltimore Sun reported and closer to the $7 million per year Baez asked for. $5 million-$6 million per year sounded better to us, but as with the case with Jamie Walker, spending the money isn't going to prevent the Orioles from doing other things. It's not like they've had any luck signing top-tier free agents anyway. Baez likely will be an effective and durable setup man in front of Chris Ray. The Orioles are stil going to be a fourth-place team, but at least they'll be a fourth-place team that doesn't blow many leads in the late innings.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Orioles signed RHP Danys Baez, who had been with the Braves, to a three-year, $19 million contract.
    Baez gets $2 million more than Kyle Farnsworth did in his three-year deal last year, so at least among those not actually signed to close, he's the game's highest paid setup man. It's extremely doubtful that this will make Chris Ray available in trade talks. Instead, the Orioles want to keep adding to their pen, maybe by bringing in Chad Bradford or Dustin Hermanson. If they can pull that off, they might then deal Todd Williams.
    I sure hope he proves he is worth the money.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Congrats on the mod spot Draven!

I think the O's are legitimately trying to maintain some sort of face while in this division. Good signing.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

I agree, but ownership isn't smart with their $$$ .. They just don't get the same bang for their $$ than the Yankees or Red Sox. Baez, what can I say. good signing spending O's. Maybe he is there to be support and/or take over in case Ray isn't able, mentally or physically!

Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19
    I agree, but ownership isn't smart with their $$$ .. They just don't get the same bang for their $$ than the Yankees or Red Sox. Baez, what can I say. good signing spending O's. Maybe he is there to be support and/or take over in case Ray isn't able, mentally or physically!
    If anything, I have to think Peter Angelos is overly cautious with his money. In rare cases, Albert Belle being one, will he throw his money out carelessly. With the MASN cable network deal in place, Angelos has plenty more money to spend, on top of his already large personal fortune and very successful law firm.

The Orioles targeted their biggest "need" as the bullpen, and we've gone out and fixed that with two of the best guys out there. Walker was regarded as the best lefty reliever out there, and Danys Baez came right in behind Justin Speier (whom the Orioles were a finalist for) with regards to righties. I will say that the Orioles overpaid, but you can not argue against these players being legit, and that they were huge needs for the Orioles. They help to right a problem for the Orioles, a bullpen ranked 31st last year.

As for Chris Ray personally, I think he'll be fine. He's a power closer, and was a starter up until before the 2005 season. He can go multiple innings if need be, and has power stuff. Mid 90s fastball, with a splitter. His failure to develop a good change was his downfall as a starting pitcher, but I won't argue with the reliever he is. Plus, Mazzone doesn't need to work much with him mechanics-wise, as Ray was already a "low and away" pitcher. Baez guidance won't hurt, and neither will his experience in the AL East.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

Fair enough.. Point well taken, thanks! I am just basing my opinion on what I remember hearing from media or rumor mills (I guess). It just seems like the front office has made some inaccurate choices in their spending? Is that fair to say or judge then. I don't know, just speculating here from the Midwest.

Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19
    Fair enough.. Point well taken, thanks! I am just basing my opinion on what I remember hearing from media or rumor mills (I guess). It just seems like the front office has made some inaccurate choices in their spending? Is that fair to say or judge then. I don't know, just speculating here from the Midwest.
    They're just a cautious team, and it is hard to pinpoint why. When we aquired Tejada, Angelos threw a year and $20 million on top of the current offer, which was four years and $52 million. Then, a month later, sat on Vladimir Guerrero and let him get away by not offering him enough early on.

I mean, Sidney Ponson was a bonehead move again, but he was coming off a year where everyone thought he had turned a corner. Rafael Palmeiro didn't cost much, Sammy Sosa didn't cost much, Javy Lopez gave us two good seasons out of three. I really don't see where the Orioles have really "wasted" or "thrown away" tons of money, like the Rangers with Chan Ho Park and other teams swallowing money just to trade a player.

Short stories, some poor decisions yes. Really big repercussions? No.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

thanks

MLB ERA
    7 mil per year for Baez?
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000