Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FOXSports: Gary Matthews Jr. to sign with Angels

MLB ERA

FOXSports: Gary Matthews Jr. to sign with Angels

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6198342

$50 million over five years is overpaying a lot for someone who had a career year (in Texas, don't forget) and was only really a good player one year. Not to mention he's 32 and that good defense won't be around into the second half of his 30s.

At least it frees them up to deal Chone Figgins, but I think this signing sucks.

MLB ERA
    I didn't think he would go for $10 mil a year, and the fact that he is going to the Angels is horrible. It'll be interesting to see what kind of reception he gets when the Angels play in Texas.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

LeagueTeamRecordStandingDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS Wins
    MSLRangers27-111st2731772
    PSLJedi31-448th00000

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

I agree with you McKain. Matthews needs to prove to me on a consistent basis that he can produce offensively. There have been many a teams willing to give him a shot. Career year in a contract year doesn't warrant huge money IMO. But, who knows maybe last year was the turning point for him and he wil turn out to be a superstar. He definitely gained a huge amount of self-confidence maybe that is all any of us needs. Points to ponder!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    This is what happens when your only other options to sign are Jeromy Burnitz and Ricky Ledee.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    He did do pretty well last season but one season won't impress me that much. Like Brewer said, he has to prove it on a consistent basis.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    What is it this year with the garbage overpriced contracts!?
    rf28

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19
    I agree with you McKain. Matthews needs to prove to me on a consistent basis that he can produce offensively. There have been many a teams willing to give him a shot. Career year in a contract year doesn't warrant huge money IMO. But, who knows maybe last year was the turning point for him and he wil turn out to be a superstar. He definitely gained a huge amount of self-confidence maybe that is all any of us needs. Points to ponder!
    Adrian Beltre move over youve got company for the most overpayed 1 yr wonder award.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    That title still is in the hands of Chris Hoiles, formerly of the Orioles
    Give Me a Bottle of Anything and a Glazed Donut, To Go....

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    no parents I have ever seen is THIS FREAKING STUPID.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    Adrian Beltre move over youve got company for the most overpayed 1 yr wonder award.
    And Carlos Beltran, he basically go that huge deal because of what he did in the 04 NLCS.

MLB ERA
    At least Beltran is showing signs of justifying it.

EXTRA NEWS
    San Francisco Giants apparently offered Matthews the same 50/5, but he chose the Angels to stay in the AL.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

Doesn't Baltimore overpay for everyone. Poorly ran franchise. It is quite sad to see. That once proud team is one of the laughing stocks in all of baseball. I still find it amazing that teams pay these outragous salaries on one year wonders and the turn around the very next year and complain that the salaries are out of control. For example, lets sign these one year wonders to 1-2 year contracts and make them a flat based salary and have laced with incentives and then pay the big money to them when it is earned or feels like they are getting something out of these players! Points to ponder!

MLB ERA
    Yeah hitting .275 when your getting 13M.

MLB ERA
    So he chose Anaheim because its in so-cal and thats where his family lives over the Giants. I dont have a problem with that.

MLB ERA
    Hitting .275 with a .388 OBP and a .594 SLG, hitting 41 HRs, batting in 116 runs, playing some of the best defense in the majors, showing nice speed, etcetc

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    He (Beltran) is obviously growing more comfortable in the spotlight, mostly because he's not alone with Reyes and Wright tagging along. If he ups the average to over .300 and the OBP to over .400 ....Howard and Pujols will have direct competition.

And it's not like Beltran never put up good numbers before. He had several quality seasons in Kansas City. GMjr has had one notable season.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast