Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A-rod to the cubs?

MLB ERA

A-rod to the cubs?

CHICAGO -- Lou Piniella, who will be formally introduced as the new Chicago Cubs manager Tuesday afternoon, wants to acquire embattled -- and possibly available -- New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez.

Sources familiar with the situation told ESPN.com that Piniella, who is extremely close to Rodriguez, expects the Cubs to aggressively pursue the 10-time All-Star. The 63-year-old manager and the 31-year-old Rodriguez have what amounts to a quasi-father/son relationship; Rodriguez was managed in Seattle by Piniella from 1994-2000. It is that relationship -- and the tantalizing talent of Rodriguez -- that has prompted Piniella to want to explore a trade with the Yankees.
    Despite the Yankees' insistence that they have no intention of trading Rodriguez, the former two-time American League MVP seems to have alienated fans and perhaps even teammates with his postseason failures. For the second consecutive year, Rodriguez failed to drive in a run and helped contribute to an early exit by the Yankees, most recently a 3-1 Division Series loss to the Detroit Tigers. In the final game of that series, Rodriguez was dropped to an unheard-of eighth in the batting order. He finished the series 1-for-14 with no extra-base hits and is 4-for-41 (.098) with no RBI in his last 12 postseason games.
    Rodriguez has a no-trade clause and could veto any proposed deal. But the idea of playing for Piniella, in the slightly less-pressurized Chicago market, and for a franchise that loves star power could appeal to Rodriguez. So could a chance for a fresh start after a .290-35-121 regular season that wasn't good enough for Yankees fans.
    For the Cubs, whose management experienced the rare and unnerving sight of empty seats at Wrigley Field this past season, the attraction of Rodriguez is obvious. He would immediately strengthen a lineup in dire need of power. He is normally an accomplished defensive player. And despite his postseason difficulties, he has a career .305 batting average and 464 career home runs in 13 major league seasons.
    With the hiring of Piniella, it is understood that the Cubs will expand their payroll, which was close to $100 million in 2006. Depending on how much they want to spend, the Cubs are one of the few teams capable of taking on Rodriguez's salary. He is owed $95 million for the remaining four years of the landmark 10-year, $252 million deal, he signed with Texas. The Yankees are responsible for paying $66.6 million; the Rangers are paying the other $28.4 million.
    A Cubs deal with the Yankees potentially could include third baseman Aramis Ramirez (career highs of 38 home runs and 119 RBI in the regular season), but Ramirez can opt out of his contract and become a free agent this offseason. It is thought the Yankees would also want a quality starting pitcher in any deal involving Rodriguez.
    Piniella, who replaces Dusty Baker after the latter's four-season tenure in Chicago, agreed to a three-year deal, with a club option for a fourth, earlier Monday. He has hired most of his coaching staff and has decided, sources say, to retain Cubs pitching coach Larry Rothschild.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2628823

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    If this goes down it would be, hands down, the worst move in the history of MLB.

First off, why in the name of all that is good and pure would A-Rod leave a team that can theoretically contend for a pennant each and every year and waive his no-trade to go to a team who finished in last place in the worst division in baseball? It would make no sense.

Second, why in the world would the Cubs trade for this guy OTHER than putting butts in the seats? In order to get A-Rod, you would either have to trade every single prospect in your organization that could amount to anything OR you would have to include Carlos Zambrano in the deal. Why would the Cubs trade the only pitcher that has shown the ability to stay healthy and pitch in more than 10 games per year for a guy who has shown time and again that he CANNOT perform in the clutch. The Cubs still won't contend for another 4 to 5 years even if they get him.

This deal is pointless for the Cubbies.
    rf28

MLB ERA
    Yeah, I don't think the Cubs need to worry about attendance.

MLB ERA
    The Cubs really don't need ARod. They are set at all of the positions he could play. The only deal that makes sense to me is to trade Ramirez and Pie to the Yankees for him, with the Cubs taking on all of the salary he's owed.
    The Yankees get an adequate 3B and a very good outfielder with speed (lead-off hitter?) for an over-priced prima donna, IMO.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA
    Not going to happen. About the only thing they have of value for A-Rod would be Zambrano and they would be stupid to trade him, especially with the problems Prior and Wood have been having.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

LeagueTeamRecordStandingDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS Wins
    MSLRangers27-111st2731772
    PSLJedi31-448th00000

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Cubs need someone to pitch behind Zambrano, not Arod though I think Arod needs to leave. And if Arod really cared about winning, why did he sign that huge contract with Texas.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Cubs need someone to pitch behind Zambrano, not Arod though I think Arod needs to leave. And if Arod really cared about winning, why did he sign that huge contract with Texas.
    Texas was only a couple of years removed from back-to-back AL West titles when he signed with them. The rest of the division just got better while the Rangers pitching fell apart.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

LeagueTeamRecordStandingDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS Wins
    MSLRangers27-111st2731772
    PSLJedi31-448th00000

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Like Jason Schmidt?

MLB ERA
    The rumored deal is Pie, Zambrano and Ramirez maybe plus Hill for ARod. That is about all I would do though. Why? ARod, however much I don't like him, will give 30+ HRs, 100+ RBIs, and .280+ AVG, while being a SB threat and near the Top in OPS.

He's a scumbag, but maybe the best player of all time while being a scumbag, therefore it is next to impossible to get equal value.

But I think I'd do the aforementioned deal...

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    That is way too much for ARod. Zambrano AND Ramirez? That is just nonsense and considered rape. The Yanks would be getting an ace, especially on the Yankees, and a guy who can put up equal numbers to Arod. The Cubs would lose thier only pitcher worth a shit, their third baseman and a hihgly touted prospect and take on a lot of money.

Like Jason Schmidt?
    Yeah, why not?

MLB ERA
    I guess there is a such thing as the Santa Clause and the tooth fairy in New York.

MLB ERA
    Yeah, well you expect the Yankees to do a fair trade for A-Rod? Pitcher's have a lower shelf life then hitters, and are way less consistent.

Plus Cashman likes his job, and if he trades ARod and Zambrano's arm falls off, he will be crucified...

And I'm just reporting the trades mentioned by ESPN Radio GF83 douchebag.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber
    Yeah, I don't think the Cubs need to worry about attendance.
    People are going to go to Wrigley regardless. Its a landmark of its own.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Dry1313
    The rumored deal is Pie, Zambrano and Ramirez maybe plus Hill for ARod. That is about all I would do though. Why? ARod, however much I don't like him, will give 30+ HRs, 100+ RBIs, and .280+ AVG, while being a SB threat and near the Top in OPS.

He's a scumbag, but maybe the best player of all time while being a scumbag, therefore it is next to impossible to get equal value.

But I think I'd do the aforementioned deal...
    It'd almost be worth the idiotic hype ESPN would lay on the Yankees and the fact that this would actually make the Yankees a viable championship contender just to see the Cubs do something that stupid. Not quite though.
    http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/1526/jenkssigya5.jpg

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast