Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blalock for Lidge?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Everyone has seen Lidge setup before. He was the man before Dotel and Wagner were traded. Maybe a change3 would be nice but he has absolutely pitched like shit in save and non save situations.

AAA ERA

Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Raphictor
    Blalock is 25 and signed cheap until 2009. I'll take that over 30 year old Ensberg who is soon to be a FA. Blalock, at 25, hasn't even hit his prime while at 25, Ensberg had 7 major league at bats. I wouldn't call that an identical swap.
    I agree, I think one player getting overlooked in this potential deal is Fernando Nieve though.
    http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/7...uthbertrc1.jpg
    Im not the Genius that traded for Brandon McCarthy. And my name is certainly not John Gibbons...

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy31
    I agree, I think one player getting overlooked in this potential deal is Fernando Nieve though.
    He definately is getting overlooked because no one's heard of him. He's not on the level as Pence or Hirsh are as prospects, but hes a good one.
    SBSL- Brooklyn Cyclones
    I am a proud member of the Anti-Rocksports Alliance.

AAA ERA
    He was the Astros best pitching prospect coming into this season.
    Im not the Genius that traded for Brandon McCarthy. And my name is certainly not John Gibbons...

Adrian Beltre had his career year at age 25, when he was in a contract year. Since then, he hasnt done a thing. It seems like after Blalock had a "down year" last year and isnt really tearing it up this season, Rangers fans want an "upgrade". Like i said, Ensberg for Blalock isnt really a bad deal when you consider you are getting Nieve and Lidge thrown in for Wilkerson, who is hitting .231 and Barajas, whom you can upgrade with starting Laird everyday at catcher. I think its a pretty nice trade for the Rangers. But then again, im not a big Blalock fan, nor am I a Rangers fan. Just looking from both sides here.

AAA ERA

Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by msneezie31
    Adrian Beltre had his career year at age 25, when he was in a contract year. Since then, he hasnt done a thing. It seems like after Blalock had a "down year" last year and isnt really tearing it up this season, Rangers fans want an "upgrade". Like i said, Ensberg for Blalock isnt really a bad deal when you consider you are getting Nieve and Lidge thrown in for Wilkerson, who is hitting .231 and Barajas, whom you can upgrade with starting Laird everyday at catcher. I think its a pretty nice trade for the Rangers. But then again, im not a big Blalock fan, nor am I a Rangers fan. Just looking from both sides here.
    Thats exactly how I see it but im a big Blalock fan and would hate to see him go. Not even sure why we are trading him but we are so this deal wouldnt be so bad in my opinion as oppose to dealing him for some crap or Tejada.

and the Astros have an overabundance of pitching down in the minors, so they can afford to make the trade looking from their side.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    But why give up a guy who you have til 2009 for cheap (Blalock) for a guy with an ERA close to 6 and he's a reliever!! Ensberg is no upgrade and he is a FA after this year. I almost forgot that Ensberg is still on the DL. Blalock should get better having Lee in that lineup. If the Astors got Wilkerson, they then would trade Taveras to possibly the Marlins. Then it would make the Astors deal even better which is why I doubt the Rangers could be this dumb.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphictor
    Blalock is 25 and signed cheap until 2009. I'll take that over 30 year old Ensberg who is soon to be a FA. Blalock, at 25, hasn't even hit his prime while at 25, Ensberg had 7 major league at bats. I wouldn't call that an identical swap.
    Blalock is a curious player. His AB/HR rating is on the decline for the second straight season, as is most of his extra base power. Given that he is not known to be a huge on-base percentage guy, the power at his age is what sold him. His 2004 season of 73 XBH's (32 being homers) was downright impressive since he was 23. He locked into that terrific contract for the Rangers (and any OOTP player knows how desirable with that kind of contract for tha talent.) But is he a player that has already hit his prime? Two seasons on the decline from his 2003-2004 season is not exactly encouraging, but I am not a Rangers fan so perhaps I do not know the whole story. What I do know is that it would be a risky move for the Rangers if a change of scenery allows him to revert to previous production he saw earlier in his career and be a potential all-star at discount prices.

I personally really don't know what to think of this deal as it's a bit curious like Blalock himself. So many of these players are having off years and it's hard to distinguish between past views on players that are being challenged with current performances. Especially when it's a young and talented player like Blalock or a guy like Lidge who at one time looked completely filthy but now can seem somewhat lost out there. If I was the Rangers, I would pass.

OC Padre Fan
    Rookie ERA

Padres

I was watching the Boston/Angels game tonight, Steve Philips mentioned the Lidge/Blalock trade. The way he described it, Lidge would go to Texas for Blalock, the Astros would then send Morgan Ensberg to San Diego for Scott Linebrink who would become the closer. We'll see what happens tomorrow.
    FRESNO STATE SCHEDULE

v. Sacramento State W 24-3 (1-0)

@ (25) Texas A&M L 47-45 3 OT's (1-1)

@ Oregon L 54-21 (1-2)

v. Louisiana Tech W 17-6 (2-2, 1-0)

@ Nevada W 49-41 (3-2, 2-0)

@ Idaho W 37-24 (4-2, 3-0)

v. San Jose State W 30-0 (5-2, 4-0)

v. Boise State L 34-21 (5-3, 4-1)

v. Utah State W 38-27 (6-3, 5-1)

@ Hawaii L 37-30 (6-4, 5-2)

v. Kansas State W 45-29 (7-4, 5-2)

@ New Mexico State

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Steve Phillips is a Grade A moron

hence the reason he was canned from the Mets GM after 2 years or whatever

AAA ERA
    This is just what im hearing but the Astros want Lee for Lidge...

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    The Houston Chronicle's Richard Justice reports that Astros owner Drayton McLane has ordered GM Tim Purpura to trade Brad Lidge.

The Rangers are the team getting mentioned in connection with Lidge, but if he has to go, there will be more interested parties, starting with the Mets and Red Sox. The Astros could turn over closing duties to Dan Wheeler if they move Lidge.

Uh oh, this could add some teeth to this and any other Lidge rumor. Credit: Rotoworld and the Houston Chronicle

MLB ERA
    Ranger fans want an upgrade? I am a Ranger fan and I do not want an upgrade. He is a good fielder, and an overall solid hitter despite having an off-year. As he is only in his mid-20's, there is every reason to believe that he can get back on track eventually. Nothing against Ensberg who is a fine hitter, but he is quite a bit older and does not have near the attractive looking contract Blalock does. If we lose Mench and Blalock in the same season, especially if it's Blalock for Lidge, I will be severely irritated with Mr. Daniels.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

LeagueTeamRecordStandingDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS Wins
    MSLRangers27-111st2731772
    PSLJedi31-448th00000

MLB ERA
    Texas would be stupid to do this deal. If Lidge was even a shadow of his former self then I might think about it but hes just been that bad since the Pujols HR. If Houston is desperate to get rid of him I wouldnt mind Cincy throwing something plus a contract at Houston for him and see if we cant fix him like we did Mark Wohlers a few years ago.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast