Thread: Now There's A Trade Rumor

AA ERA

Now There's A Trade Rumor

This is a hell of a trade rumor, and it'd be wrong not to pass it along. According to the blog Bleed Cubbie Blue:

"The Cubs are reportedly "in discussions" with the Yankees for a deal in which the principals would be Aramis Ramirez...and Alex Rodriguez...This deal, if it happens, might also include Jacque Jones, and other lesser players including prospects on both sides.

This same source told me that the White Sox are "close" to acquiring Andruw Jones from the Braves; the price would be Brian Anderson and young pitching. That deal would also make sense for both sides.

If the A-Rod to the Cubs deal happens, also expect Todd Walker to be moved (maybe to the Tigers), and at that point A-Rod moves back to SS, Ronny Cedeno to 2B, and the Cubs get a placeholder 3B until they can either sign one or trade for one in the offseason."

Just to reiterate, all of the above comes courtesy of Bleed Cubbie Blue. My own personal feeling is that the rumor did indeed originate from a legitimate source. Now let's take a closer look.

As you may know, A-Rod's contract deserves a webpage unto itself. As far as I can tell, the Yankees, or any other team, would owe him $16MM annually through 2010. Based on projections, that's pretty close to fair value.

Aramis Ramirez was given the unfortunate ability to opt out of his current deal and become a free agent after this season. Even if 2006 is an off-year, I think he could top the three years, $33.5MM he's owed in the deal. 1060west sums it up: Ramirez will probably test the market given the weak class at the position.

As for the other rumor - Jones would certainly be a sweet pickup for the White Sox. Brian Anderson has been terrible this year, but he was the organization's best prospect entering the 2005 season according to Baseball America. The Sox have some decent if not spectacular pitching prospects, so this one isn't out of the realm of possibility. Plus, there's always Brandon McCarthy.

It will be interesting to see if this one picks up enough steam to catch the eye of the Chicago print media. They will undoubtedly dismiss it as an Internet rumor and not credit BCB as the source.

Todd Walker to the Tigers? For what reason? We don't need a Todd Walker.

MLB ERA
    No chance any of that happens. It's assinine.

MLB ERA
    As long as BMac stays right where he is, I'd love to pick up Andruw. That'd make the White Sox deadly. Imagine the type of season he could have in the launching pad formerly known as Comiskey Park as well.
    http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/1526/jenkssigya5.jpg

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Walker would be the wrong kinda bat for Detroit, they need more of a lefty masher. Dealing ARod to the cubs, for Aramis? That's not helping the defense.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Exactly. Even then it would have to be the right deal. A good LH batter is more of a want than a need for Detroit.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I don't think The Boss would do this deal because I know the Cubbies would want money coming their way too.
    rf28

So we give up a million-time Gold Glove CFer with 50 HR power who's under 30 and we get..Brian N. Anderson?

Unless we're getting Anderson, McCarthy, and prospects, no.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Rookie ERA
    Not good for the braves in the long run.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by RockSports17
    Todd Walker to the Tigers? For what reason? We don't need a Todd Walker.
    The Cubs arent going to hold Todd Walker hostage for a lot in return though.

If we (Cincy) didnt already have 100000 infielders I would LOVE to have Todd Walker back. He isnt stellar in anything but he does everything well and has shown willingness to do what the TEAM needs rather than what he himself wants (platooning 1b for the Cubs when Lee was out, taking a lesser role, etc). He has always hit well, whether its being asked to leadoff, hit 2nd, hit 6th, whereever. He is a career .290 hitter for those stat junkies who hate BA he also has a .349 OBP, hes UNDER rated with the glove providing .982 career fielding percentage. He was Todd "Money" Walker with the Reds in 2001 and 2002 providing the Reds with countless walk off hrs, walk off hits, he would just get on base in the clutch and score.

Again I may not be able to see the forest cause I am too close to the trees but if you "need" a left handed bat you cant get much better than what Walker's body of work has been. Or you maybe biased against him since he was a Saux for one season... in which case . LOL
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    Again I may not be able to see the forest cause I am too close to the trees but if you "need" a left handed bat you cant get much better than what Walker's body of work has been. Or you maybe biased against him since he was a Saux for one season... in which case . LOL
    LOL. That's it.

He sounds like a good player and all, but he's not a need. A LH batter is a want. I thought if anything, we would be getting a LH OF. Not IF.