Thread: Teams Still Interested In Kerry Wood

AA ERA

Cubs Teams Still Interested In Kerry Wood

Just got word from a solid source, an insider who had previously indicated the Devil Rays' interest in Ervin Santana back in December. This time, he's got some info concerning oft-injured Cubs pitcher Kerry Wood.

Word is that despite Wood's awful health record, Jim Hendry is shopping him and has received some interest. The Rangers would like to add Wood and may give up John Danks or Thomas Diamond to get him.

Danks, a 21 year-old southpaw, has made some progress in his second stint in Double A. His strikeout rate is way up and his control has improved, though his home run prevention has worsened. Danks is mentioned as a potential #2 starter one day by Baseball America, and should earn a promotion to Triple A this year if he can further improve upon his 4.41 ERA and 1.39 WHIP.

Diamond is a 23 year-old righty with a mid-90s fastball and a good changeup. He's also done better in his second stint at Double A Frisco, managing a 4.15 ERA despite his 1.48 WHIP. Diamond has whiffed over 11 batters per nine innings, but his walks per nine has soared past 6. Diamond and Danks are ranked #2-3 in strikeouts in the Texas League, behind only Juan Gutierrez in the Astros' system.

Wood would have to approve a trade to any club, and the Rangers seem more likely than another possible suitor: the Yankees. I'm told the Yanks are poking around as well, but don't have details on any offers. Given that Wood's $13.5MM option will most certainly be bought out for 2007, a trade to Texas would be contingent on a restructured agreement for 2007 with Wood.

Wood is no lock to be traded, and could turn into an effective, healthy pitcher if used in the bullpen. The Cubs are certainly open to the idea of retaining Wood for 2007 at a discounted price.

The Clubhouse Co-Mod HuskerFan2002's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    I wouldn't understand why ANY team would want him.

He's an injury waiting to happen.

Wood is simply overrated. He hasn't pitched a full season since when like '99? Why give up a top prospect for Wood?

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxRock
    Wood is simply overrated. He hasn't pitched a full season since when like '99? Why give up a top prospect for Wood?
    Well we are talking about the Rangers here.

The Rangers are morons for wanting to give up Danks or Diamond to get Wood. The Rangers have pitching going for them in the minors with DVD and getting rid of any of them, especially for Wood is down right dumb.

Wood has been abused as a pitcher both by Jim Riggleman and Dusty Baker, two coaches known for throwing caution to the wind with pitchers. Both guys have taxed Wood's arm to the limit, where he can't pitch for awhile without having soreness in his arm. Fact it, the Cubs have a guy with great talent, but have allowed their coaches to ruin him. They are just going to have to pay the rest of his contract, and have him sit on the DL. And, us fans have to sit through all of the "Kerry Wood rehabs, returns to pitch for a week, has shoulder soreness, back on the DL" and all over again.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Maybe Wood doesn't work out enough or take care of his body. Any way you look at it, he has never won more than 14 games and is Mr. Glass!

AA ERA
    I love Wood, but I'm ready to give up on him. I'll take my chances with someone else.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Maybe Wood doesn't work out enough or take care of his body. Any way you look at it, he has never won more than 14 games and is Mr. Glass!
    I'm inclined to think he doesn't work out enough, because he is always on the DL, or resting from having a still elbow or shoulder (which really comes from not getting any work in on the DL)

AA ERA
    Wood needs to be traded, to get the hell away from Dusty

Rookie ERA
    Ok random Red Sox fan coming in to say hi...

It's too bad Kerry Wood has had all the injury problems and whatever. Are we really talking about the same guy who struck out 20 Astros back in 1998? That's sucks, it sounds like he could have been a special player. How long has Kerry Wood had injury problems for?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    About 1999 beyond for Wood.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

Rookie ERA
    you just know that if this trade is made, the Rangers are bound to appoint Dusty manager just sio he can continue ruining Wood

MLB ERA
    I wouldn't mind having him as a reliever, especially if the ScRubs don't ask for a ton. That'd be a very low risk/high reward move.
    http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/1526/jenkssigya5.jpg

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.