Thread: Cardinals looking at Conine, Mientkiewicz, Wilson

Cardinals Cardinals looking at Conine, Mientkiewicz, Wilson

According to the St Louis Post-Dispatch the Cardinals are inquiring about Craig Wilson from the Pittsburgh Pirates. The Pirates reportedly wanted Anthony Reyes in return in which the Cardinals turned down the trade. The Cardinals prefer to move Adam Wainwright, but would rather move their Double A talent such as Stuart Pomeranz and Chris Lambert considering that the Cardinals have plans to move Wainwright and Reyes into the rotation next year with Marquis, Suppan, Mulder and Ponson becoming free agents at season's end. The Cardinals have considering a "rental" swap with Mulder and Marquis, who make a combined $13M. Mulder's name is being mentioned in trade possiblities, one including Yankees 2B Robinson Cano. The Royals have made Doug Mientkiewicz available and the Orioles have been noted to discuss Jeff Conine as well.

In my opinion, i rather give up Reyes to bring back Sanders/Grudzielanek instead of getting someone like Craig Wilson. If the Cardinals can get Craig Wilson without trading Wainwright or Reyes, so be it, but im totally against trading either to pick up someone mediocre like Wilson.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Reyes for for any rent-a-player is out of the question. Reyes is part of the future in St. Louis. Maybe Bigbie and Tyler Johnson for Sanders but not Reyes.

I agree, but its a sellers market. The Pirates, Royals know they dont have a chance to win anything this year, and someone will give up something to get those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by msneezie31
    I agree, but its a sellers market. The Pirates, Royals know they dont have a chance to win anything this year, and someone will give up something to get those guys.
    On the same token, those teams want those veterans around for as long as they can, to help out with the younger guys, and show them how the game is supposed to be played. The Pirates are just being crazy, like the Devil Rays were last year in offering Aubrey Huff to the Cubs in return for Carlos Zambrano, but that price should come down.

I also would not say its a sellers market. In the past few seasons, we've seen less and less "big" trades, and more smaller trades, for a token arm or part-time fielder. Many teams still think they are in contention at the deadline, and refuse to trade their players. Sure, for them it is foolish, but why pay through the roof for their guys? If a team is in contention, the prices for their guys only go higher (in most cases)

I'm a Cardinals Freak StlCards4ever515's Avatar
    Rookie ERA
    I hope we can pull out some way too get Craig Wilson.... Wilson could help out our OF and could help us out def right now with Pujols out....But when Pujols comes back when he needs rest we could play Wilson at 1B