Thread: [RUMOR]: Mets and Yanks in the mix for Zito?

[RUMOR]: Mets and Yanks in the mix for Zito?

Link

The A's, who have almost no hope or expectation of signing Barry Zito long-term, are said to be "discreetly" investigating trade possibilities for the star lefthander. It must be very discreet, because executives with some teams - the Yankees included - say they are unaware of Zito's impending availability.

But according to a baseball official on another team, the A's would like to receive three younger, less costly players for Zito.

"It would be malpractice not to do research," A's general manager Billy Beane told Newsday when asked whether he's investigating trade possibilities. "Of course, it would also be malpractice to make a foolish trade."

Beane, a creative thinker who previously moved pitching stars Mark Mulder and Tim Hudson, still said he isn't overly optimistic about his chances for a Zito trade and indicated there's more chance they'll just let Zito leave via free agency at year's end. "I'm not sure there's a right deal out there," said Beane. "It's going to be difficult to find the right match."

Beane said he sees little chance for the A's to extend Zito. As Beane put it, "Based on the previous year's market and the success Barry's had, I'd be less than honest not to say it would be difficult challenge."

The Red Sox have the prospects to get a trade done, and it doesn't hurt that Red Sox execs talk often to Beane.

Yankees GM Brian Cashman and Beane are practically daily phone buddies, as well, and while Oakland likes righthander Philip Hughes (they asked for him in Mark Kotsay talks last year), the Yankees don't have an overwhelming stash of pitching prospects.

Mets people surely will keep the promise they made to themselves not to trade Lastings Milledge (whom Beane also covets), but perhaps they might loosen their grip on Aaron Heilman or Brian Bannister if it could help land Zito.

If Zito makes it to free agency, a friend of Zito's said he believes the Mets and Yankees are co-favorites to sign him.
    Thoughts?

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    old news...this talk has been going on since the 2005 season ended...

MLB ERA
    When arent the Mets and Yanks co-favorites to sign ANY big name free agent?
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    Trading Phillip Hughes would be a monumental mistake. He'll be starting next year in the Bronx. I would't even trade him for Dontrelle Willis. Now, if they asked for Eric Duncan and someone else, that I'd do, because Duncan has skills, but I see him as a future bust, a la Drew Henson.

MLB ERA
    I think the A's would see Duncan as a future bust as well. The A's have shown that if a deal isn't to their liking, they can just sit back and let Zito hit free agency, earning them a first rounder and sandwich pick in compensation.

MLB ERA
    So true. Well, the pick would be some to lose, but he's worth it for that. But I want to keep Hughes, he's only 19 and he throws accurate 94. C'mon, give that up for Zito, who's good, but has a tendency to get rocked? I'm good.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    The Skankees will get him. The Boss won't hesitate to add him.
    rf28

AA ERA
    The Red Sox have the prospects to get a trade done, and it doesn't hurt that Red Sox execs talk often to Beane.
    This basically translates to Jon Lester and the only way I would even consider trading Lester if I was Epstein, would be for Willis.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

MLB ERA
    The Yankees really need another solid pitcher. The pitching rotation is the biggest problem for the Yankees. If we can get another solid pitch like Randy then I see us going pretty deep into the playoffs, because Johnson just can't go out and pitch every game in the series. So untill the Yankees get another solid pitcher I just don't know how far they can go.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

MLB ERA
    How many times are you gonna say "solid pitcher" lol. And maybe it's me, but Zito isn't that solid. I know someone will produce some gaudy stats that prove he's actually the Major's best pitcher, but whenever I see him he's either getting rocked, or struggling through 6 innings of jams. He had his Cy Young year and he could catch fire in a bottle, but he's not worth our best spec.

MLB ERA
    Hes better than Write and Pavano because neither of them never pitch.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckFoston
    Hes better than Write and Pavano because neither of them never pitch.
    he also has a better track record than those two clowns that the Yankees overpaid for...and whether or not you think Zito is good or anything, Beane said it best:

"Let's see ... he's left-handed, he's never missed a start, he's 27-years-old, and he's won a Cy Young," Beane says. "Now look at the money that some guys who aren't any of those things have gotten lately."