Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding strategies

Magic Finger!!!
    AAA ERA
    Blog Entries

Molina's Sim League Rebuilding strategies

Blah blah blah. Who cares? I "way outbid you" or "way overpaid." isn't that then my concern? What if I subscribe to the NBA free agent method? Tim Thomas? Hell yeah we'll give if a max deal!

This is my second FA in this league. I'm sorry if I don't have the bargaining skills as some that has ridden the wave for 35 seasons. I wanted the guys I went after, gave them a contract that I thought would land them. My team is shitty and I'm attempting to bolster them.

My options are way over pay for not great, but decent talent. Or tank my team. Either way I'm going to get ridiculed. At least I freaking Trying to win games. I may not have a damn World series contender, but I'm trying to build a fan base. Trying to make .500 with a team that has frankly been terrible for a while.

So bitch and moan and laugh at my deals. But at least I'm trying to do something!

Now back to your regularly scheduled flame fest:

MLB ERA

Re: 2041 Free Agency - AKA: the Happy Birthday Leo thread.

Don't take it personally Zodious. People poking fun at large contracts is all part of the game. If you feel the contracts are worth it to you then that's all that really matters.

I had the same thought process as you when I gave Kendry his last contract.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

I got mocked in HSL when I offered Peavy 20 over 7 years... been one of the best deals I've ever signed as a GM so far
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

MLB ERA

I offered Peavy just about as much but he didn't like my organization

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

It's people like Zod and company that ruin free agency...and the fun in sim leagues in general. Can't wait till he turns around trying to trade his shit later this season when his team is sucking again.

Magic Finger!!!
    AAA ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito View Post
    It's people like Zod and company that ruin free agency...and the fun in sim leagues in general. Can't wait till he turns around trying to trade his shit later this season when his team is sucking again.
    It's people like Zito that's a fucking Dick that make people not want to do these sim leagues. Then turn around and wonder why there are so many fucking vacant teams. Get off your fucking high horse and let us try and figure out this instead of bitching about every little fucking thing someone does. It's fucking ridiculous. I'm sorry we can't all have been in OOTP since it's inception and know the exact specification of every player. Some of us have to figure our way through it. So I'm sorry if my fucking contract offers weren't to your exact specifications. Next time I go to offer a fictitional player on an website, I'll make sure I message you to see if I should offer a player and what I should offer so we can make it fun for you.

Magic Finger!!!
    AAA ERA
    Blog Entries

Molina, I apologize for the way this thread has gone. I had no intention of "ruining" anything. I'll step aside the rest of FA and wait till it's all over.

Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by zodious View Post
    Molina, I apologize for the way this thread has gone. I had no intention of "ruining" anything. I'll step aside the rest of FA and wait till it's all over.
    Don't apologize. I was just shocked you planned to "compete" this year (something I applaud you for doing) instead of taking the Leo route of just sucking for over a decade to collect Top 5 Picks.

I wish more GM's shot for 70-80 wins each year rather than 30-50 to get that top pick.

Rookie ERA

Oh shitttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Hangman View Post
    Don't apologize. I was just shocked you planned to "compete" this year (something I applaud you for doing) instead of taking the Leo route of just sucking for over a decade to collect Top 5 Picks.

I wish more GM's shot for 70-80 wins each year rather than 30-50 to get that top pick.
    Because spending all my finances to overpay mediocre free agents in blind hopes of winning maybe 70 games gets me what? The respect of other GMs? No, wait, ask Zodious how that's going for him.

When I took over San Diego the franchise had absolutely no major league talent (I think one player on the major league squad was halfway decent) and, IIRC, one 5.0 star prospect. And he was almost 25 and not even half filled out. The next best prospect was a 3.5 scrub. So, yeah, it's going to take time to fix that kind of mess.

What would you have me to do? Throw multi-million dollar contracts at a few mediocre free agents, maybe win 70 games, pick in the middle of the draft, and then have no finances to sign free agents when it finally comes time for me to compete? Yeah, whatever.

And it's not like I blindly sat on my hands and did nothing, either. Just ask Molina. I've sent free agency offers in pretty much every year. (Kendry's last 4 year, 10.5 million dollar contract wasn't auto-generated by the AI) But, silly me, I'd generally offer reasonable contracts and some other GM who's actually in line to compete would throw more money at him. Which makes sense, he actually needs the guy. I'm treading water with a shitty franchise and nothing in the farm to make the future look bright.

And it's not like I didn't field the best roster I could either. I think I missed one opening day when I went through a spell where I ignored all my OOTP teams because I wasn't into it as much for some reason at the time. (Which messed up my HSL team, as an aside. Stupid AI called up some specs who were far from ready)

I've done the best I can to rebuild this once-piece of shit franchise from the ground up and, naturally, that takes some time. If my only intention was to tank, tank, and tank some more to collect draft picks until I have enough filled out to fill a team I wouldn't be throwing 10+ mil contracts around in free agency this year because DiMaggio, Musial, and my two best pitchers aren't quite ready yet so I'd have another year available to get that top pick.
    Last edited by HollywoodLeo; 10-14-2011 at 01:16 AM. Reason: said "prospects" when I meant "free agents"

MLB ERA

See Zodious. This is why you shouldn't worry about what other GMs think about your approach. If you throw the bank at free agents even though you may not be in line to actually compete yet guys like Zito will come in and complain about you "ruining free agency". If you try and build through the draft guys like Hangman will whine about you "tanking" because it's much more respectable try and win 70 games than it is to actually rebuild your franchise.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    See Zodious. This is why you shouldn't worry about what other GMs think about your approach. If you throw the bank at free agents even though you may not be in line to actually compete yet guys like Zito will come in and complain about you "ruining free agency". If you try and build through the draft guys like Hangman will whine about you "tanking" because it's much more respectable try and win 70 games than it is to actually rebuild your franchise.
    In the end everyone has different strategies on how to go about winning a WS... thats no different that in the majors... thats why we all play... to see how our strategies match up against others... and guess what in the real world other teams complain about what other teams paid sometimes... chalk it up to jealousy or whatever... doesn't mean your bad or good... just not doing it their way
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by zodious View Post
    Don't step aside.

Do what you want to do with your team. You're the GM.

If you do what others want you to do with the team then you may as well appoint them the GM and not you.

If your contracts aren't what's best for your franchise then you'll learn the lesson the way it's supposed to be learned.

Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    Because spending all my finances to overpay mediocre free agents in blind hopes of winning maybe 70 games gets me what? The respect of other GMs? No, wait, ask Zodious how that's going for him.

When I took over San Diego the franchise had absolutely no major league talent (I think one player on the major league squad was halfway decent) and, IIRC, one 5.0 star prospect. And he was almost 25 and not even half filled out. The next best prospect was a 3.5 scrub. So, yeah, it's going to take time to fix that kind of mess.

What would you have me to do? Throw multi-million dollar contracts at a few mediocre free agents, maybe win 70 games, pick in the middle of the draft, and then have no finances to sign free agents when it finally comes time for me to compete? Yeah, whatever.

And it's not like I blindly sat on my hands and did nothing, either. Just ask Molina. I've sent free agency offers in pretty much every year. (Kendry's last 4 year, 10.5 million dollar contract wasn't auto-generated by the AI) But, silly me, I'd generally offer reasonable contracts and some other GM who's actually in line to compete would throw more money at him. Which makes sense, he actually needs the guy. I'm treading water with a shitty franchise and nothing in the farm to make the future look bright.

And it's not like I didn't field the best roster I could either. I think I missed one opening day when I went through a spell where I ignored all my OOTP teams because I wasn't into it as much for some reason at the time. (Which messed up my HSL team, as an aside. Stupid AI called up some specs who were far from ready)

I've done the best I can to rebuild this once-piece of shit franchise from the ground up and, naturally, that takes some time. If my only intention was to tank, tank, and tank some more to collect draft picks until I have enough filled out to fill a team I wouldn't be throwing 10+ mil contracts around in free agency this year because DiMaggio, Musial, and my two best pitchers aren't quite ready yet so I'd have another year available to get that top pick.
    you've been rebuilding for like 10 years

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Sabu88 View Post
    you've been rebuilding for like 10 years

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast