Page 9 of 59 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: GML Draft Random Thoughts/Player Welcomings

Re: GML Draft Random Thoughts/Player Welcomings

Running Backs are a dime a dozen...Trent Richardson proves that all day long. Doesn't matter what you look like in college, the team can make you look all world.

Quote Originally Posted by murph View Post
    Yeah, thought about trading for a minute, and then I looked at the Browns' receiving corps and decided I better grab Parker while he's still there.
    If only you had insight into my "draft strategy", lol...it's good that none of really know each other. Makes this more interesting.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    todd gurley is a top 5 guy on my board, and i wouldnt have considered him til 34
    I'm not THAT high. I have him at 9 right now.

Williams-Fowler-Winston-Cooper-White-Gregory-Shelton-Parker-Gurley-(undrafted guy) for me. Still wouldn't draft him in Round 1.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IrishDawg42 View Post
    If only you had insight into my "draft strategy", lol...it's good that none of really know each other. Makes this more interesting.
    You run into trouble when you think you do know someone. Slyder is from West Virginia, so I'm almost positive he's taking White, but nope, throws me all off by taking Amari.

Quote Originally Posted by Witlon View Post
    You run into trouble when you think you do know someone. Slyder is from West Virginia, so I'm almost positive he's taking White, but nope, throws me all off by taking Amari.
    I think that's the smarter pick anyway, White could be Julio Jones, or he could be Cordarelle Patterson, and we probably won't know for a few years.

MLB ERA

I do like White, I think he has the higher ceiling. White is also much more raw than Cooper and thus has the wider range. I felt like with this team I needed the sure route running of Cooper to give Carr that stability, also the fact you don't know how Crabtree is going to recover from his knee problems..
    Last edited by Slyder; 03-28-2015 at 09:39 AM.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Yeah, I knew Flowers would be available since none of the "talking heads" have him ranked in the top 15. When I lost out on Bulaga, my entire free agency was based on drafting Flowers at #12, whom I have ranked as the top OT and by far the best run blocking OT in this draft.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a White, Cooper or Parker...but this team isn't going to lead the NFL in passing until they find a QB. This off season was set to make it very difficult to stop the run game, no matter how many men they stack in the box... If they over commit to the run, then it will help in the development of Manziel as a passer with less emphasis in the defensive back field. Win Win....

Quote Originally Posted by IrishDawg42 View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a White, Cooper or Parker...but this team isn't going to lead the NFL in passing until they find a QB. This off season was set to make it very difficult to stop the run game, no matter how many men they stack in the box... If they over commit to the run, then it will help in the development of Manziel as a passer with less emphasis in the defensive back field. Win Win....
    The Vikings know this strategy well... It can work, but it helps to have WRs that can actually beat single coverage.

I'm sure it won't be a major problem for you to find them though, this is a deep class at WR.

Quote Originally Posted by murph View Post
    The Vikings know this strategy well... It can work, but it helps to have WRs that can actually beat single coverage.

I'm sure it won't be a major problem for you to find them though, this is a deep class at WR.
    Yes, I had this in mind also during the free agency period...which is why I traded for outcast 6'4" Riley Cooper and 3rd year 6'4", 4.44 speedster Justin Hunter...two tall possession receivers to pair with Andrew Hawkins who has shown ability to beat his defender one on one. Manziel preferred that taller wide out in college that he could place a ball and let the receiver go get the ball and win it in a jump situation. With the rules evolving to protecting players, this type of play can become more effective in the NFL now, where in the past, the safety would sit on the receiver and jack him as soon as there was contact with the ball. The rules eliminate hanging a receiver out to dry. We already had speed on the team in Travis Benjamin 4.36 and Taylor Gabriel 4.40...either can take the top off the defense as well as Hunter..

All are young and need development...but should also impact more than an incoming rookie...If Josh Gordon ever gets his crap together, he can re-join the team as the top wide out with a more experienced Manziel to lead a charge...

Build around what your QB does well... Good strategy.

We know Teddy can spread the ball around, and throw with anticipation, but that requires good route runners that he can count on to be there. That's part of why Patterson is gone, and why Parker seemed like a better bet than some of the more promising later-round WRs. Teddy can trust he'll be where he's supposed to be.

Teddy also did better in the shotgun, with 3+ WRs, so we'll use a base set with AP, Rudolph, Parker, Britt, and Charles Johnson on the field, probably subbing Johnson out for Rhett Ellison or Chase Ford for a two-TE set when we want to lean more run-heavy.

Would have been nice to land Virgil Green to operate in that two-TE set, but oh well, we think Chase Ford offers a lot of what Green does, if a bit slower.

I continued to take BPA and had Scherff sitting there. Easy decision. He can play left or right tackle or kick in and play some guard. It's never a bad decision to protect your franchises most important player.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

i was hoping scherff made it to 16. id have went away from my plan and grabbed him.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I was considering Scherff and Parker at 6, if both WRs were gone. Since White fell, didn't have to worry about it.

What surprised me:

The Bears not taking Fowler

Cleveland taking Flowers over Scherff

A pick hasn't been traded when it was on the clock yet

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by jalexjsmithj View Post
    A pick hasn't been traded when it was on the clock yet
    When you only have an hour and are stuck at work, yea I really hoped to try and move down but didnt have much chance.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Page 9 of 59 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast