Page 14 of 59 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: GML Draft Random Thoughts/Player Welcomings

Re: GML Draft Random Thoughts/Player Welcomings

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    So, what exactly makes you more responsible or qualified than the person who wrote a top 100 list?

At the end of the day it's all opinion.
    Because I have been doing this for several years, and it has become painfully obvious that those who have made this their job regurgitate information to compile these lists. This is only a small portion of their job. Their main focus is to spit out articles or talking points for their daily show/website which is where they make their money. I listen to a lot of shows and many of those responsible for these lists are on those shows. They openly talk about the fact they don't even BEGIN to do their research until well after the National Championship and others until the NFL season is over if they cover that as well. So their "research" obviously becomes...ok, who is the consensus higher picks so I can get a list going to keep my boss off my back. Problem is, they are all looking at each others lists for their "research" so it never really comes from watching hours and hours of tape.

I can appreciate the earlier poster who called out my pick of Flowers, because he did the research and found (2) instances to note on Flowers on a 9+ minute tape...It wasn't a regurgitated opinion from one of the talking heads...However, that second note wasn't even Flowers responsibility, unless he heard the play wrong. He was assigned to contain inside and held his man for the entire play. The way the protection was set up, the line looks as if they are set up for play action to the right, the QB immediately looks left and Gregory is there, however if Flowers missed his assignment and took Gregory, then Valentine would have had a free shot at the QB.

However, I have watched all the tape on these players and Flowers brings more to the table than just two plays against arguably the best pass rusher in this entire draft.

I hope you aren't trying to say that Scherff has infallible tape out there and has never missed an assignment...Go ahead and watch him against that same Nebraska team and then tell me he shows you more than Flowers. Playing against the same exact defensive front, which happens to be a very good one, Scherff struggled to engage repeatedly. 3:42 Scherff allows his guy to easily shed him to make a play behind the line of scrimmage for a loss...5:57 he once again fails to hold a block which allows his man to make the play inside the 10. At 6:18 he gets bum rushed by Nebraska and is confused on who to pick up, so he simply sticks his arms out ineffectively which contributes to his QB fumbling the ball under pressure. 7:56 he fails to even engage a defender despite having two to choose from, standing around caused an easy stop for the defense that could have easily gone for a TD if he had engaged in the play...he takes many plays off like this one...Again at 11:40, he has a TE covering the end, yet he chooses the double team(easy way out) instead of the inside which opened a hole for a loss on the play...15:15 completely misses his opponent giving up an EASY sack in Nebraska territory with the game on the line... 16:52 He fails to sustain his block getting his QB hit again. Last play in OT he gets beat again causing his QB to be hurried and throw and errant pass incomplete, forcing a FG. One last thing, those cut blocks that Scherff employs regularly are now illegal in the NFL. Also, take note on that second to last drive all but one of the running plays were run to the right side of the line away from Scherff, you have to ask yourself "why" when they have a supposed top ten tackle on the left.

A couple of notes...Iowa gives help to the left side on nearly every single play. Bringing a TE to cover up the edge on about 30% of plays and keeping a RB in to protect when he isn't there. Miami leaves Flowers on an island to protect their QB. The motors of each of these guys are measurable, Flowers is consistent throughout the game, watch Scherff towards the end of the second and the 4th QTRs and you see him hitting and stopping consistently, he is getting worn down.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention...This was the same team they each played...however, Flowers was against a Nebraska team that had Gregory, Scherff had the day to play a Nebraska team without Gregory in uniform...and Flowers won the head to head, easily.

Look, the Browns implement a ZBS and if you watch Flowers play, he has the footwork to engage blocks quickly, peel off and move on to secondary blocks at the second level to disrupt the defense and allow extra yardage. This is essential in a ZBS.. Scherff has"footwork" in drills, but it hasn't shown up in game film. Scherff is a mauler only on the field, but he doesn't sustain blocks long enough, he has a lot to learn if he were to excel in a ZBS...Flowers already shows the skills needed.

I didn't say there wasn't value in scouting for myself, but he's assuming jalex didn't do so because his opinion didn't coincide with his own and made his opinion sound like fact that any fool should know.

Jalex didn't say he formed his opinion from a top 100 list. Irish just assumed he did because jalex had an opinion that differed from his own.
    I hope that explains MY OPINION a little more...

Now, feel free to explain yours as well..I will be happy to read it and change mine if there is reason to...

That is why I don't simply look at lists and "form my opinion".

This was announced in the trade thread by HollywoodLeo and I accepted it there but I figured I would put it here as well.

Chargers Receive:

1(28) 28th Overall
    3(9) 73rd Overall

Falcons Receive:

1(18) 18th Overall

Falcons are on the clock. I'll announce shortly.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Yup, you're good. I had to wait until it was confirmed to update the schedule/order/by team.

Interested to see who you're trading up for.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by IrishDawg42 View Post
    I hope that explains MY OPINION a little more...

Now, feel free to explain yours as well..I will be happy to read it and change mine if there is reason to...

That is why I don't simply look at lists and "form my opinion".
    But you readily assume others do if they don't agree with you?

The only reason I even replied to this discourse is because you jumped to the assumption that jalex formed his opinion off a top 100 list that he never mentioned.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

As for me? I'll happily formulate my opinion off of top 100 lists (not just one guy's, though).

I don't get paid if my Chargers GML team excels or if I win an argument on the internet so I'm not going to waste a lot of time scouting game footage to see who's the best fit.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

As for me? I'll happily formulate my opinion off of top 100 lists (not just one guy's, though).

I don't get paid if my Chargers GML team excels or if I win an argument on the internet so I'm not going to waste a lot of time scouting game footage to see who's the best fit.
    You didn't get the memo about the cash reward for winning GML?!? That sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Witlon View Post
    Can i get paid in loonies?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Foamfrontmshbck View Post
    Can i get paid in loonies?
    Unfortunately, our accountant only has NFL Monopoly money or pesos. I'm sure the exchange rate won't be too bad, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Witlon View Post
    I missed that memo also.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Wait...I told Mach to send the memo around, did anyone get...?

Oh, damn it Mach.

I have Green-Beckham as one of the most under rated WRs in this draft. I think he is right up there with White and Cooper - the guy is 6-4 240 and runs a 4.49.

Falcons draft DGB. High risk high reward. Needed a replacement for Julio and he is a Julio clone but with baggage. Probably the most upside of any WR in the draft if he stays out of trouble. 6'5" 235 lbs with sub 4.5 speed. Hard to find that.

Fowler Scherff DGB. Solid.

Rookie ERA

DGB is a great high risk\reward in my opinion. I would not take him as my lone first rounder but I was doing what you did, gain a few firsts so u can pick they guy you have rated highest and take a flyer on the physical freak. nice pick, now I have to restratigize for my 29th pick

Page 14 of 59 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast