Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead Money Thoughts

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

gml Dead Money Thoughts

(I wanted to formulate a better post, but I lost it overnight, so we'll just go with this.)

What are everyone's thoughts on dead money going forward?

Like it? Don't like it? Too confusing? Keep it? Drop it? Don't care, either way?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Dead Money Thoughts

I don't like it when you trade a player twice. Why should that team be penalized for trading for them and some one offers you better
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I don't even track it so I don't care one way or the other.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

I think the dead money should penalize the original team, like it does in real life...then disappear, since it has already been paid...like it does in real life. I understand you do it to keep from trading the same player more than once, but would rather see a rule limiting to one or two trades per player than the dead money following that player.

It made it WAY too easy for teams in cap hell to get out from under it, imho. They should have to work harder...

I agree with Dawg. Maybe the original team could take a 50% hit or something. I know I got out of some tough contracts that i never could have in real life situation. Half hits would still allow you out of a couple contracts to keep movement but not allow a complete do-over.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

I think it's fine the way it is. On the one hand, it does make it easier to get out of tough cap situations. On the other hand, this is an activity primarily for fun and entertainment so it would suck to take on a team with a terrible cap situation and not really be able to do anything.

Also, there would be far fewer trades, I would imagine, if teams weren't able to get rid of the salary along with the player (I know I definitely would not have traded away some players if the cap hit didn't disappear for their dead money). More trades = more fun/interesting things happening. Otherwise the focus is pretty much on free agency and the draft, which makes things more realistic but less fun. Hard to strike a balance.

I like dead money.

If you're a fantasy GM, I think it's too easy to just do whatever ridiculous scenario that could never happen without dead money factoring. It's already going to be distorted by not being a multi-year outlook, but if there's no consequences to current or previous dumb cap decisions, it just becomes absurd.

Now, we all like fun, and being able to do more than real life is fun, so I can see where the "first trade free" compromise came into play, but I guess I'd prefer some more realistic limitations.

Heck, I'd prefer a three-year planning window, but I might be nuts.

I have a couple thoughts:

I agree that I would like to see the dead money drop off and have the trading team take the cap hit, but I would like to add a caveat:

I think there are some guaranteed roster bonuses out there are absolutely kill teams cap situation, and those roster bonuses are never meant to actually apply in real life. Junior Galette had a $12.5 million one that he modified for cap space, and so did JJ Watt and that saved $8 million in cap space. I think being able to restructure only roster bonuses (and convert them to signing bonuses) would help out those teams in cap hell. The Bears theoretically could take advantage of this and get some relief from Jared Allen's $11.5 million roster bonus I guess...

Also, when trading, the dead money would only include signing bonus money - not guaranteed salary or guaranteed roster bonus money. I traded Demarcus Ware who had a high dead money figure, but some of that dead money was guaranteed paragraph 5 salary, so that would need to be differentiated.

Rookie ERA

I also like the Dead Money since it puts us in some difficult financial situations that actual GM's would face. Without the Dead Money it would make it far too easy to get out of bad contracts, and the point of this game is to fix mistakes of the previous regime.

Quote Originally Posted by BearsDreamer View Post
    I also like the Dead Money since it puts us in some difficult financial situations that actual GM's would face. Without the Dead Money it would make it far too easy to get out of bad contracts, and the point of this game is to fix mistakes of the previous regime.
    Not for the real team that created the Dead Money nightmare though...The team that owns the player, and signed the terrible contract with that player in real life, gets off scott free from dead money. It is only the next team that gets hit with that onus.

Quote Originally Posted by NFLRA View Post
    I have a couple thoughts:

I agree that I would like to see the dead money drop off and have the trading team take the cap hit, but I would like to add a caveat:

I think there are some guaranteed roster bonuses out there are absolutely kill teams cap situation, and those roster bonuses are never meant to actually apply in real life. Junior Galette had a $12.5 million one that he modified for cap space, and so did JJ Watt and that saved $8 million in cap space. I think being able to restructure only roster bonuses (and convert them to signing bonuses) would help out those teams in cap hell. The Bears theoretically could take advantage of this and get some relief from Jared Allen's $11.5 million roster bonus I guess...

Also, when trading, the dead money would only include signing bonus money - not guaranteed salary or guaranteed roster bonus money. I traded Demarcus Ware who had a high dead money figure, but some of that dead money was guaranteed paragraph 5 salary, so that would need to be differentiated.
    I was hoping no one would bring it up, darn it!

You're absolutely right, the only problem is the sheer amount of work that would have to be done unless I can get OTC's stuff to pull down properly. Could do a cap #, a dead money if cut #, a dead money if traded #.

The other issue is, well, to be blunt, this year it has been fine but in the past people have had trouble grasping dead money at all and would either screw up or get frustrated and quit, which for a game with such a limited player pool as is can be problematic.

2072 MSL Gold Glove Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    I was hoping no one would bring it up, darn it!

You're absolutely right, the only problem is the sheer amount of work that would have to be done unless I can get OTC's stuff to pull down properly. Could do a cap #, a dead money if cut #, a dead money if traded #.

The other issue is, well, to be blunt, this year it has been fine but in the past people have had trouble grasping dead money at all and would either screw up or get frustrated and quit, which for a game with such a limited player pool as is can be problematic.
    Too bad there isnt a program that can auto matically do the trades and keep our roster information for us...

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

My life would be so much easier. You have no idea...

Quote Originally Posted by NFLRA View Post
    Too bad there isnt a program that can auto matically do the trades and keep our roster information for us...
    just that potential computer sim game.

I'm wondering if we all email Jason that he may break out the dead money. I asked him myself when the site started but he said there wasn't enough demand.

I think right now I lean towards at least having all dead money hit the original team but not after that since everyone is in agreement. Past that, I don't know.

and now I find something on OTC that just might make the idea work after all.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast