Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dead Money Thoughts

Re: Dead Money Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by 305 View Post
    Doesn't have to be.
    We're not ready to do a keeper league with GML, and doing a 1 year league for BTS is silly. They're different.

2072 MSL Gold Glove Winner

Hall of Famer
    Rookie ERA

People will choose BTS over the GML if given the chance.

GML will need BTS to run a season to satisfy players at the end, either way you can't outrun it. It's inevitable.

Griddles ain't gonna use it.

Hall of Famer
    Rookie ERA

Or will he...

works for me if he does

Hall of Famer
    Rookie ERA

Go, just draft someone in MSL.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    Fight!
    I think each person should be given a monkey with a knife and those monkeys should fight!

I'm late to this discussion, but FWIW I DO think dead money needs to be tracked somehow. I know we want to have fun, not be too difficult to track, but it would get pretty crazy if there were no dead money consequences. I like this to be a somewhat realistic exercise and to really think about what options a team has. The simplest way I can think for everyone to understand, would be for a trade to count like a June 1 release - with the original team keeping half the dead money and the new team getting the other half. If that team trades the player again, he is the proud new owner of that portion of the dead money.

Quote Originally Posted by natewheel View Post
    I'm late to this discussion, but FWIW I DO think dead money needs to be tracked somehow. I know we want to have fun, not be too difficult to track, but it would get pretty crazy if there were no dead money consequences. I like this to be a somewhat realistic exercise and to really think about what options a team has. The simplest way I can think for everyone to understand, would be for a trade to count like a June 1 release - with the original team keeping half the dead money and the new team getting the other half. If that team trades the player again, he is the proud new owner of that portion of the dead money.
    I like this compromise

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by NFLRA View Post
    Too bad there isnt a program that can auto matically do the trades and keep our roster information for us...
    And then simulate season results that carry over into new seasons that don't necessarily follow real life transactions? One that would make people think twice about what they do with draft picks since the results cary on beyond this season?

If only OOTP would create a football game, in other words.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Quote Originally Posted by prettyflacco View Post
    I like this compromise
    I can go with this compromise.

I am not really sure where this should go because it is an idea I have including both trades and dead money but here we go.

With the recent trade that was almost voided I think we can come to a possible solution that allows a person to trade someone they signed. How bout we allow a person to trade a player they have signed via free agency, however they have to pay 2x the value of the contract in dead money to trade them. (if a person trades a free agent they signed for $510,000 then they have a dead money charge of $1,020,000, if they were signed for $1 million then there is a $2 million cap charge to the trading team). I am just throwing ideas around, because sometimes opportunities for trade arise. When people sign free agents they hopefully aren't looking to trade those players, but sometimes those players can be used to facilitate a trade.

What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by NFLRA View Post
    I am not really sure where this should go because it is an idea I have including both trades and dead money but here we go.

With the recent trade that was almost voided I think we can come to a possible solution that allows a person to trade someone they signed. How bout we allow a person to trade a player they have signed via free agency, however they have to pay 2x the value of the contract in dead money to trade them. (if a person trades a free agent they signed for $510,000 then they have a dead money charge of $1,020,000, if they were signed for $1 million then there is a $2 million cap charge to the trading team). I am just throwing ideas around, because sometimes opportunities for trade arise. When people sign free agents they hopefully aren't looking to trade those players, but sometimes those players can be used to facilitate a trade.

What do you guys think?
    The idea was kind of used sort of in the past and it caused one guy with a ton of cap room to sign everyone and then extort everyone as a result. It's a great idea in theory but it becomes impractical and ruins FA as people start using FA for trade chips as opposed to actual talent additions.

What I have considered is allowing trading of players who were signed to min contracts, but the same thing still applies, albeit on a lesser level since people can't behave and be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    The idea was kind of used sort of in the past and it caused one guy with a ton of cap room to sign everyone and then extort everyone as a result. It's a great idea in theory but it becomes impractical and ruins FA as people start using FA for trade chips as opposed to actual talent additions.

What I have considered is allowing trading of players who were signed to min contracts, but the same thing still applies, albeit on a lesser level since people can't behave and be fair.
    The idea would be that since you have a double cap penalty people would be dis-incentivized from doing it, because it would add up fast. Plus, you can only sign so many people, because you are limited to a 53 man roster. But - i assume people will still be assholes and go against the "spirit of the rule"

couldn't agree more with Porter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast