Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you were to start a new Sim League...

MLB ERA

If you were to start a new Sim League...

What traits would you want in it... I've always thought of running one and have had these features in mind

A) Compensation Picks- I liked how TPSL had these, made it possible for you to not trade a pitcher you didn't want in the future at the deadline because you could just get compensation picks when they signed in FA

B) Non-Elite Talent Pool- I would try to get a mix of talent in so a 4.0-4.5 specs could be useful in the league, there would still be the elite guys and the like but would be nice to see a weaker balanced pool

C) Draft Pick Trading- I like the leagues that have it and it will be a part of MLB very soon and would be nice to have

What features would you like to see in a new league or if you were to run one?
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

Magic Finger!!!
    AAA ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: If you were to start a new Sim League...

I would like all those traits.

My biggest would be talent level. To me a 10 talent in something should be SPECIAL. And NO 10 contact 10 power guys... or 1 every 5 years, there are NOT more than a handful of guys ever to be this IMO. I like when 7th rd picks turn into everyday players and I think it would be fun to see a league where you just never know.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The draft pick compensation angle was always difficult. Nick and I constantly had to play with it, and it always had room for improvement. I think it depends on having deeper drafts and by that, not loaded with 5 star prospects, but those 3.5-4.5 star prospects that could be useful if they development, or could be stars if they have talent boosts. Compensation is pointless when the pool is weak and 2nd round picks are 2 star bums. But since the draft pool has a set number to begin with, we had to create players. It's a complicated process, but personally, I loved it and think more leagues should try it.

But only after there's a good guideline and set of rules created for it. It's definitely not easy for any 6.5 league. Of course, it's taken care of for you in the new OOTP games.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

Yea I always remember how hard it was for you and Nick... but its something if I ever started a league I think would be worth it because it would be great for the league.

I was thinking I would just make a list of players for the compensation round in a google doc or something, let the GM's draft them, then edit a current 1.0 spec in the system to match what they were told they'd be drafting... not a perfect system but it would be a lot easier than what you and Nick tried to do back in the day
    MSLSeattle0001

Rookie ERA

Comp picks would be amazing. I've always hated losing players to FA because they weren't signable, or because of money problems, and get nothing to make up for it.

I do like the others too. I feel like trading draft picks has always made sense in OOTP.
    LeagueTeamRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLKansas City Royals (NYY/TB)3611-351711487
    TBLCleveland Indians1084-6982521
    HSLChicago Cubs2071-17641941

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

"The draft pick compensation angle was always difficult. Nick and I constantly had to play with it, and it always had room for improvement. "

im pretty sure somebody else came up with that, and the initial qualifications for it... that you and nick had to play with.

MLB ERA

If I was to start a league (I really want to btw... kinda the semi-point of this thread), I was thinking I would have a committee that would grade potential FA's on June 1 so owners would know if their players will be eligible for compensation... they would be re-evaluated at the end of the season just like in real life if they struggle down the stretch they'd lose/gain status for compensation
    MSLSeattle0001

Magic Finger!!!
    AAA ERA
    Blog Entries

Things I would look for in a new SIM League:

1) a good paced sim 2 times a week seems to be nice.
    2) only a few 5.0 specs, plenty of 4.5-3.0 specs
    3) a well rounded TC, takes all scenarios into effect.
    4) Tanking is severely sanctioned. no team should EVER be in the bottom 4 places for 4+ years, if you have a 7 contact guy in the minors and playing a 5 contact guy in the majors you're busted.... I don't care if he has 9 contact talent.... he CAN grow in the majors...
    5) (optional but fun) allow the creation of teams, possibly humorous, to make things interesting.
    6) If possible, salary cap, if not, dont have $150,000,000 payrolls
    7) Take a page from molina, Use old drafts, rewrite history if you will. makes things intriguing.
    8) figure out how to give gold gloves to people that DESERVE gold gloves! lol
    9) Do NOT create a stud player and arbitrarily give it to some team.
    10) Be just and fair.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

As far as the whole "there should only be a few 10 guys." The ratings are actually 0 - 100 and can be over 100. 10 is anything above 90. Not all 10's are created equal if you follow me.

Magic Finger!!!
    AAA ERA
    Blog Entries

Ok yeah, I follow you, that actually nice then lol

MLB ERA

The game allows you to show the ratings in different ways and most people use the 1-10 format rather than the 1-100 format because it's simpler. The ratings are the same regardless; it's just how they appear on the site.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    "The draft pick compensation angle was always difficult. Nick and I constantly had to play with it, and it always had room for improvement. "

im pretty sure somebody else came up with that, and the initial qualifications for it... that you and nick had to play with.

Yours sucked, that's why we had to play with it =P

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zodious View Post
    Things I would look for in a new SIM League:

1) a good paced sim 2 times a week seems to be nice.
    2) only a few 5.0 specs, plenty of 4.5-3.0 specs
    3) a well rounded TC, takes all scenarios into effect.
    4) Tanking is severely sanctioned. no team should EVER be in the bottom 4 places for 4+ years, if you have a 7 contact guy in the minors and playing a 5 contact guy in the majors you're busted.... I don't care if he has 9 contact talent.... he CAN grow in the majors...
    5) (optional but fun) allow the creation of teams, possibly humorous, to make things interesting.
    6) If possible, salary cap, if not, dont have $150,000,000 payrolls
    7) Take a page from molina, Use old drafts, rewrite history if you will. makes things intriguing.
    8) figure out how to give gold gloves to people that DESERVE gold gloves! lol
    9) Do NOT create a stud player and arbitrarily give it to some team.
    10) Be just and fair.
    Judging by you and a couple of others who constantly have to whine about number 9....I have a great idea! Go fuck yourselves and try to have fun instead of being constant bitches. Just sayin'

MLB ERA

It's easy to have that opinion when you're not on the outside looking in so-to-speak.

Number 9 isn't going away. He's only 27! The reward far outweighed the action is my whole thing. Making a few threads and posts designed to increase activity (which didn't really work) < The Mustache running wild for 20 seasons

MLB ERA

One thing I really liked about TSSL was all the themed drafts.

They don't have to be superstars or anything...just make the talent pool coincide with whatever it normally is...but having a theme instead of just a bunch of random fake names always made it more interesting.

Having the Undertaker, Scott Steiner, and Diamond Dallas Page on my team was pretty cool.

I realize that takes extra work, though, so I'd list that as a bonus and not a must.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast