17. Jonathan Sánchez (SF - SP)
    18. Max Scherzer (Det - SP)
    19. Bobby Jenks (CWS - RP)
    20. Todd Helton (Col - 1B)
    21. Joel Piñeiro (LAA - SP)
    22. Seth Smith (Col - OF)
    23. Carlos Santana (Cle - C)

Quick notes:
    I took Jeter because he was the only reliable veteran shortstop left among the immediate options, but you can argue it's a reach since Yunel Escobar was still available much later. I slacked off on getting a good hitting catcher as always. I will kick myself if I let Miggy Montero slip again in a real league, but I would be thrilled to have Carlos Santana in the last couple rounds.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: My first mock draft of the year

I take it the league places high value on saves?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I tend to go crazy on closers in the mid-to-late rounds, but K-Rod is underrated this year just because he didn't save 50, 60 games. You got me on Coco Cordero and Hoffman, but I was surprised Jenks was ranked below names like Rodney.

MLB ERA

My thoughts..

- I think getting Upton at 20 is a great pick. He's a lock for 20-20 with 30-30 (or at least 35-25) upside.
    - Jurrjens in the 11th round also seems like an excellent value to me. I'm not too worried about his early shoulder problems, and he'll get you a really good ERA with solid K's and wins.
    - Speaking of wins, though, you're not going to get enough. Lincecum and Jurrjens will get some, but Cain and Billingsley will probably hurt you in that area.
    - I think you might have gone one or two closers overboard, but you'd have valuable trading pieces down the road if they all pan out.
    - Your catching position is horrible. I don't understand why you would take Yadier Molina. I'm all for waiting late if you can't get one of the first four catchers at a good value, but why Molina? He's only a plus player in average, which he contributes less than other position players because of 100+ less AB's.
    - Not a big fan of your late picks, like Smith and Santana (and Helton, unless there's a BB/OBP category). It would be tough to say for sure without knowing who was available, but I would think there would be some higher upside player available.

Not terrible, but I'm kinda feeling blah.. Good infield though.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

- My thoughts exactly on Upton and Jurrjens. I thought about Matt Holliday at 20 considering he was beast for St. Louis, but Upton's upside is for real.
    - You can't count on wins, all the statheads would tell you that. You just hope the wins come when a pitcher's ERA and WHIP beg of them.
    - About Yadier, like I said, I held out for Montero and whiffed. Catchers who were later taken were Bengie, Soto, Doumit, Baker, and Olivo. Pierzynski went undrafted. I feel Bengie has nowhere to go but down with his OBP.
    - FWIW, some sexy upside players that I passed on include David Price, Gerardo Parra, and...shit, I just realized this...Martin Prado.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Jose Lopez might end up being 3B eligible, he's taking grounders at 3B already.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA

I like Santana in the last round... he's got upside, if worse comes to worse, extra closers can get ya an upgrade
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I feel catchers are probably a waste unless you're getting Mauer or Martinez, and you'll likely have to pay top dollar for them.

I mean, you could even have a guy like Jeff Clement(if he wins the 1B job) there and be fine, with Sandoval-esque upside, due to not actually catching.

Not a big fan of pitchers in the first, but Lincecum is about as can't miss as you can get. Would've probably passed on Helton and went after a Nick Johnson-type but, can't really argue him that much at the draft position.

Not a bad looking draft, though. Jeter is steady, Upton is a great pick. Not a K-Rod fan, but his name value makes him worth taking there, especially if you want to flip him.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the suggestions, Wilty. By the way, tell CS and little wiffer I said hi, if you see them.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions, Wilty. By the way, tell CS and little wiffer I said hi, if you see them.
    They are still around?
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)