Thread: Potential sleepers for 2010?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

MLB Potential sleepers for 2010?

Outside of the superstars or the prospects so hyped that it's questionable whether the prospect is more loved by their own mother or by a baseball geek clutching his early copy of Baseball America 2010, for those of us who get put in the unfortunate position of being totally unprepared for our draft, we need sleepers. Of course we now have plenty of time to prepare, but we plan on our laziness winning out.

One of my picks, for a large league and for the backend of your rotation is Homer Bailey. His overall stats are not impressive, but gold compared to what he had previously shown. And that is largely due to an impressive stretch to finish the season. His last 9 games posted all had 3 ER or less, with 6 out of 9 having 0 ER or 1 ER. He posted 6 or more K's in 7 our of 9 games. And he only gave up two longballs over that stretch, both in the same game. Control is still a work in progress, as is being somewhat hittable. But that stretch truly was Bailey's breakout moment in the MLB. As a 23 year old pitcher, Bailey still has things to work on, but if you want to take a gamble on a pitcher who might give you some cheap strikeout points, he could be an option.

Anyone else have any good players to consider?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Potential sleepers for 2010?

Ryan Roland-Smith (SP-SEA) -- If this guy can stay healthy he can be a solid #3 in a solid rotation behind Felix and Lee. Doesn't allow many hits, decent walk rate.

Ryan Rowland-Smith Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

It only needs mentioned, it's a huge stretch BUT, in case it happens, this forum will look smart for bringing it up (otherwise, we just delete this post and act as though it was never said!)

Ian Kennedy. He was compared to Greg Maddux and Pedro Martinez. He pitched worse than Hideki Irabu. We wrote him off and he was dumped on Arizona in a 3-way trade that has probably left any diamondback fan weeping in the bathtub. So it's perfect chance for Kennedy to finally be healthy and rebound, to have a decent season. I won't say a great one, an all-star one, or anything that good, but if he posts a low 4 ERA season, that's a success considering where we have placed him in our minds.

For a more logical sleeper, Nick Johnson in that terrifying yankee lineup and Garrett Atkins bouncing back in Baltimore
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

You know what, you might be right about Ian Kennedy. I'm not aware whether the ex-Yankee mojo has an effect or not, but the fact that he plays for a team I dislike is to his advantage. Maybe it's just selective memory, but it is maddening to me how the list of sleepers who come through end up resembling an enemy list of my own. Jayson Werth, Shane Pricktorino, The Pandaval.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

A couple guys that come to mind include...

Jake Fox(3B/OF-OAK) - His third base eligiblity would be a nice depth power choice at the end of your draft. Of course, in a smaller league, he's just a watch list guy, anyway, but I'm just saying.

(Deep Sleeper/Reach) Felipe Paulino(RP-HOU) - He's 25, he had a 93-37 K-BB record, and the team is planning on Brandon Lyon and Matt Lindstrom closing. If they somehow falter, maybe Paulino would get a shot...and if he did, he's immediately a fantasy starter. (Consider this more an inseason pickup/watchlist.)

(Shot in the Dark) Brian Dopirak(1B-TOR) - The former Cubs top prospect, currently blocked for a starting job by Lyle Overbay's contract and Randy Ruiz.(and maybe Brett Wallace, but that would negate my argument.) He hit 25+ HRs in the minors last year, and could be a canidate to explode on the scene.