Thread: What benefit is there to buy OOTP?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

What benefit is there to buy OOTP?

With the site having its OOTP leagues and everything. What benefits can come of buying the program? I know it could create ease to the commisioners of the leagues, but do you get any benefit from actually having the program? Can I export changes to my team whenever I please?

Someone sell this to me. Convince me to buy it, please.

None. Don't buy it.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Redsrbetter, I am glad you brought this up, I so want to hear what someone says that owns it.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    It allows you to understand the game itself better.
    rf28

AA ERA
    Being able to use the game rather than just the HTML is a lot easier not only on the Commissioner but also gives you a better understanding of the game, its features, and how to be able to make more accurate and secure changes to your lineups and minor league systems.

The biggest benefit to the game is the Minor leagues themselves... It allows you to keep a closer eye on your prospects and when they should be moved up to the next level. You can get a feel for which lineups work best, shift guys around in your lineup easier, as well as your staff and bullpen. By exporting your own lineup changes instead of using the HTML and then informing the Commissioner of such changes, you can feel more comfortable that no accidental errors occur.

Sometimes it can become difficult when a Commissioner is swamped with numerous roster changes not to mention the time it takes to import, conract extensions, run the sim, free agent signings, trades, generate the report, change the league file and HTML report file to zip files, then upload the file, and for Commissioners such as myself who also do numerous homepage news articles. It just makes life easier on both the Commissioner and the leagues members, plus you get a more enjoyable feel for the game.

I use most of the games options like all the split stats, players career stats, situational stats, etc. before building my lineup. Basically, having the game allows you to be more in tuned with your team.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    With the site having its OOTP leagues and everything. What benefits can come of buying the program? I know it could create ease to the commisioners of the leagues, but do you get any benefit from actually having the program? Can I export changes to my team whenever I please?

Someone sell this to me. Convince me to buy it, please.
    if you're talking about using it for Crazy's league, it will only cost $20 and you can be up and running in 15 minutes. All you need is OOTP 6.0 ($19.99) and then to download the 6.12 patch.

game itself
    patches

Once you do that, all you need to do is download the league files from BOSI and "restore" the league in the game. You can then set a team password under "team setup" so only you and the commish can make changes. Then all you do is "export to FTP" from "team setup" most of the time. You have to export from ST and FA to make offers during the FA period though...it's totally up to you. I didn't have the game, but I figured wtf, it's only $20.

MLB ERA
    I originally wasn't going to set up our league website to handle line-up exports, but a lot of GMs asked me to do it. They didn't ask because it was easier for me, but because it is easier for them. I know that from being in leagues that allow exports myself. It is a lot easier to go through your team in the game and make changes as little as they may be instead of typing every little thing up in a PM to send the commish.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    Can I export changes to my team whenever I please?
    Yes you can. As Providence said, you simply click a button when you want to export your changes. It's really simple. I have an export tracker for the SBSL that shows when each GM exported their changes. Each GM can see this tracker. So if you forget when you exported last, you can check the export tracker.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    It'll get you laid.

And I'm lying.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Unless you come across a lady sabermetrician, then, well.
    Who knows?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.