Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: QB Carousel aka 2018 Season

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

re: QB Carousel aka 2018 Season

my only hesitation is that we're gonna make a mid-tier qb the highest paid player in the league. and how often do things like that work out? i do love the front loaded contract idea though. as far as im concerned have his entire contract be a cap hit this season, and then we pay him peanuts the rest of the way and can actually build a team around him starting in year 2.

Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Bizkits View Post
    I don't understand Jets fans who don't want Cousins.

1) He's better than any QB we've ever seen.
    2) Have the Jets shown any ability to ever draft the right QB.

I get it that he'll be expensive, but those 2 reasons alone should make every Jets fan want him.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Mel's mock this morning had Allen first to the Browns, then Darnold, the Rosen slipping all the way to the DOLPHINS. That would be great. He doesn't do trades but said he thought Cousins to Jets or maybe even 'maybe' Vikings. I forget where he said Mayfield would go.
    MSL Athletics GM- 2065+

HOFF Athletics GM- 1978+
    VAV Phillies GM- 1985+

VAV Hornets GM- 1993/94+
    (95/96 Champions)

Hall of Famer
    AA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by dgfred View Post
    Mel's mock this morning had Allen first to the Browns, then Darnold, the Rosen slipping all the way to the DOLPHINS. That would be great. He doesn't do trades but said he thought Cousins to Jets or maybe even 'maybe' Vikings. I forget where he said Mayfield would go.
    If Rosen is there at 6 I will be thrilled, but I will be shocked if he falls to the Jets pick.

TBL Washington 2005-2018: 1212-1056 (.534) 1 WS Title
    MSL Philadelphia Phillies - 2 W.S. Title
    Free Gift Cards, and Cash: http://www.instagc.com/27076

Hall of Famer
    AA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    my only hesitation is that we're gonna make a mid-tier qb the highest paid player in the league. and how often do things like that work out? i do love the front loaded contract idea though. as far as im concerned have his entire contract be a cap hit this season, and then we pay him peanuts the rest of the way and can actually build a team around him starting in year 2.
    Me too, because lets say it's 5 yrs, 150 million. So the first year passes and it becomes a 4 yr, 90 million deal. Which means years 2 through 5 the Jets are only paying 22.5 per year which is a bargain when it comes to QBs that are talented.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Who else do you lump in with this mid-tier group?

It didn't work out well for Baltimore but aside from some streaky success in the playoffs, Flacco is not good and they couldn't build shit on offense. I would say Cousins is a lot better than Flacco.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

well, just the fact that teams who won the super bowl since brad johnson and tampa, have either had a hall of fame qb, or a guy on their rookie contract. flacco didnt sign his big deal until the offseason after he won the super bowl. roethlisberger qualifies in both categories, for each sb... brady a million times... wentz/foles qualify as the rookie contract, wilson qualifes on the rookie contract... peyton and eli hall of famers (eli borderline, but 2 titles, hes probably in)... brees hall of famer.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

and if it was just a broad question of who i think mid tier qbs are... stafford, carr, alex smith, mariota, jameis... guys of that ilk. after i eat, if you want me to put a full list together, i got 6 hours to kill til work, i could definitely do that.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

so lets say the tiers look something like...

brady, brees, rodgers
    -----
    roethlisberger, wilson, wentz, ryan, cam, goff, watson
    -----
    rivers, stafford, carr, cousins, smith, keenum, dak, jameis, mariota, jimmy g til he proves it some more
    -----
    bradford, bortles, dalton, flacco, eli, tyrod, mccown
    -----
    all the young guys that were insanely up and down last year (think trubisky and brissett)/vets that are better suited to be backups (think fitzpatrick)
    -----
    deshone kizer, brock osweiler
    -----
    christian hackenberg

cam and ryan were the toughest to place for me. both are coming off mvp seasons recently, and both are kinda up and down. i think they couldve gone in either tier 2 or tier 3. whichever you want. and i left luck out because... god only knows. sometimes he looks like he could be tier 1 eventually, sometimes he looks like hes tier 4, and then a lot of times recently he just doesnt play at all. so, rank at your own will.
    Last edited by Hammer; 02-21-2018 at 06:28 PM.

Hall of Famer
    AA ERA

Lol at Hackenberg on the bottom, but so true

Hall of Famer
    Rookie ERA

You forgot Elvis Grbac

MLB ERA

well, just the fact that teams who won the super bowl since brad johnson and tampa, have either had a hall of fame qb, or a guy on their rookie contract. flacco didnt sign his big deal until the offseason after he won the super bowl. roethlisberger qualifies in both categories, for each sb... brady a million times... wentz/foles qualify as the rookie contract, wilson qualifes on the rookie contract... peyton and eli hall of famers (eli borderline, but 2 titles, hes probably in)... brees hall of famer.
    Why does the coincidence of them not being on a big money FA contract negate the fact that multiple teams won a SB with a mediocre QB?

Also, Peyton circa his SB win in Denver isn't an elite HOF quality QB. He just had that resume from earlier in his career.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

so lets say the tiers look something like...

brady, brees, rodgers
    -----
    roethlisberger, wilson, wentz, ryan, cam, goff, watson
    -----
    rivers, stafford, carr, cousins, smith, keenum, dak, jameis, mariota, jimmy g til he proves it some more
    -----
    bradford, bortles, dalton, flacco, eli, tyrod, mccown
    -----
    all the young guys that were insanely up and down last year (think trubisky and brissett)/vets that are better suited to be backups (think fitzpatrick)
    -----
    deshone kizer, brock osweiler
    -----
    christian hackenberg

cam and ryan were the toughest to place for me. both are coming off mvp seasons recently, and both are kinda up and down. i think they couldve gone in either tier 2 or tier 3. whichever you want. and i left luck out because... god only knows. sometimes he looks like he could be tier 1 eventually, sometimes he looks like hes tier 4, and then a lot of times recently he just doesnt play at all. so, rank at your own will.
    You flushed the homer out of me with this: How are Goff and Watson already ahead of Rivers? Age at this point in his career? and Rivers on the same level as Keenum?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    Why does the coincidence of them not being on a big money FA contract negate the fact that multiple teams won a SB with a mediocre QB?

Also, Peyton circa his SB win in Denver isn't an elite HOF quality QB. He just had that resume from earlier in his career.
    for your second point... yes, agreed, but they had a lot of good defensive pieces on small deals (harris, roby)/were ready to become fas (trevathan, malik jackson) that made for the best defense in the league.

which leads to point a... mediocre qbs winning the super bowl on rookie deals is a big deal, because your team can build with quality big money pieces around them. baltimore will never win a super bowl as long as flacco is making 25 mil, because the team is financially hamstrung by a mediocre qb and cant field a legitimate team around him anymore.

MLB ERA

for your second point... yes, agreed, but they had a lot of good defensive pieces on small deals (harris, roby)/were ready to become fas (trevathan, malik jackson) that made for the best defense in the league.

which leads to point a... mediocre qbs winning the super bowl on rookie deals is a big deal, because your team can build with quality big money pieces around them. baltimore will never win a super bowl as long as flacco is making 25 mil, because the team is financially hamstrung by a mediocre qb and cant field a legitimate team around him anymore.
    Makes sense.

For the record I don't think Cousins would be a good signing for the money he'll likely command.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    You flushed the homer out of me with this: How are Goff and Watson already ahead of Rivers? Age at this point in his career? and Rivers on the same level as Keenum?
    its really currently tier based. guys like rivers stay highly graded because a. im a total mark for the guy, and b. he did have a solid year. but goff had a better year, watson was on his way to doing absolutely amazing things til the acl... and keenum had an mvp type year last year, no matter what you think about the guy. do i expect keenum to stay in that tier? no, probably not.

and ill be honest, i initially had rivers in tier 2, and bumped him down because i didnt wanna oversaturate tier 2. if you wanna put him there, feel free. it was a baseline i put together in all of 3 minutes.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast