Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL's Black Monday 2014

Re: NFL's Black Monday 2014

Quote Originally Posted by schisno View Post
    If they moved geographically then they aren't showing any loyalty to their fans because they prove they don't care about traditions and most moves are for stability or more money. Of course that stems from putting up a terrible product for so long that there was never a strong sense of tradition, ie: the Atlanta Thrashers, they were just never going to succeed.

Teams are going to evolve and identities are going to change. Sometimes a team is going to be known for their defense or their offense, or off field distractions. As a fan we see the changes, whether they evolve or not into the modern game. Some of us become bitter of jaded because these aren't our same team (Raiders). They're still wearing the same colors and logo, but it doesn't mean they have to keep the same philosophy because those can change over a long period of time, especially when something isn't working. I'm sure Viking fans can talk to you about the Purple People Eater era to the Dennis Green high flying offense to the Cruiseship Era and they were all different from one another, yet they didn't change their allegiances because some notion that they weren't the Vikings.
    furthermore, wouldn't the Raiders be going away from those same traditions and such in this case? I think in some, or many cases, yes, just because a team becomes D first or O first or run instead of pass, that's not a good reason to move on, assuming you were an actual fan of the team, as opposed to the team's play style, which is different. But then again, what made you a fan of the team? That they were upstanding citizens? Renegades? Big spenders? I think those are more core things that the stuff you mention. It's like a person changing their core beliefs and personality whereas the other stuff is more like changing a hairstyle or such.

2072 MSL Gold Glove Winner

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Schottenheimer left the Rams to be an OC at Georgia. Go Rams
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Rams lose offensive coordinator. Team improves.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Yeah I feel bad for Georgia. Although this likely means Chubb gets 50 carries a game
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Hall of Famer
    Rookie ERA

Buffalo get to interview Rex Ryan on Thursday, but the Atlanta Falcons remain in the lead for his services after spending up to 5 hours with the Falcons during his interview with Atlanta. Doug Whaley wants the next coach to work with EJ Manuel and that doesn't seem to what some of the more veteran coaches want to deal with. Ryan does not want to settle for Manuel when he has an upper tier QB in Matt Ryan. The most likely candidate to fulfill all the Bills criteria are Frank Reich or Pep Hamilton.

Mike Shanahan keeps showing up on the Raiders rumour mill, but if Oakland waits beyond this week to name a coach it is very likely that Jack Del Rio can jump back into the lead.

Many speculate Chicago will have a Ballard-Toub pairing, but Ballard-Dan Quinn may happen as well. Quinn did not want to work with Trent Kirchner, saying he isn't really a personnel guy and wanted someone more seasoned. Some NFL executives have been saying Quinn is the most impressive candidate they've seen.

recent scuttlebutt has it that Sparano will keep his job.

Hall of Famer
    Rookie ERA

screw John Clayton and the horse he rode in on.

it's a few more than Clayton

Hall of Famer
    Rookie ERA

It's as bad as extending Philbin. You should leave the Raiders now, there were too many blow outs. He's just going to maintain the mediocrity or lower it. Yep, give up on the Raiders. Life as we know it is over.

Hall of Famer
    Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    So why should fans have that level of loyalty? Not that teams have any loyalty to their fans anyway, it's all about money.

Sure, but if someone became a fan of a team because of a specific owner and a specific identity and such, that's a bit different. There's different phases and such, but the Raiders had one core belief, one that they carried with them when they moved to and from LA, and the new guy ain't really adhering to it.
    If a team is in a city long enough, where they add to the region with charities and growing the sport you're building loyalty. It's been mention that fandom is a silly thing and some of the reasons to be a fan can be superficial. However if you're a fandom is a family tradition it's been built up because they've been where they are for so long, and you might have a player(s) who represent better ideals then the team that you gravitate to more. Or you have a personal connection that's why, I met such and such a player at a charity and he actual took the time to talk to me ect ect... I think if you just picked a team randomly then fine, you have the choice to cheer for them or drop them on a whim because you have no real tie or connection to them. More often then not these days I find the young kids more fans of players as oppose to teams.

All sports team have one core belief, make money. They still do regardless of where they are and I'm sure the Raiders are still making money. So there you go, you can keep cheering them on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    furthermore, wouldn't the Raiders be going away from those same traditions and such in this case? I think in some, or many cases, yes, just because a team becomes D first or O first or run instead of pass, that's not a good reason to move on, assuming you were an actual fan of the team, as opposed to the team's play style, which is different. But then again, what made you a fan of the team? That they were upstanding citizens? Renegades? Big spenders? I think those are more core things that the stuff you mention. It's like a person changing their core beliefs and personality whereas the other stuff is more like changing a hairstyle or such.
    A person will change their hairstyle based on what their personality is like in the present. Yeah you can wear a mullet/bowl cut for as long as you like, but when you want to ascend to that lofty managerial job and you know it gets in the way and isn't part of you any more then you get a princeton because that reflects you now. No one wants to be held to someone else's belief, then they aren't who they are. Al's gone, so Mark is going to do what Mark is going to do. Just like any other team who's moved on from a previous owner.

I'm sure Robert Kraft's ideals and beliefs are different then Billy Sullivan's, and Patriots fans who had to go through the Boston era to the New England era is fine with where they are now.

It's as bad as extending Philbin. You should leave the Raiders now, there were too many blow outs. He's just going to maintain the mediocrity or lower it. Yep, give up on the Raiders. Life as we know it is over.
    it's that bad, but it's still not a good enough reason to get me to leave.

If a team is in a city long enough, where they add to the region with charities and growing the sport you're building loyalty. It's been mention that fandom is a silly thing and some of the reasons to be a fan can be superficial. However if you're a fandom is a family tradition it's been built up because they've been where they are for so long, and you might have a player(s) who represent better ideals then the team that you gravitate to more. Or you have a personal connection that's why, I met such and such a player at a charity and he actual took the time to talk to me ect ect... I think if you just picked a team randomly then fine, you have the choice to cheer for them or drop them on a whim because you have no real tie or connection to them. More often then not these days I find the young kids more fans of players as oppose to teams.

All sports team have one core belief, make money. They still do regardless of where they are and I'm sure the Raiders are still making money. So there you go, you can keep cheering them on.

A person will change their hairstyle based on what their personality is like in the present. Yeah you can wear a mullet/bowl cut for as long as you like, but when you want to ascend to that lofty managerial job and you know it gets in the way and isn't part of you any more then you get a princeton because that reflects you now. No one wants to be held to someone else's belief, then they aren't who they are. Al's gone, so Mark is going to do what Mark is going to do. Just like any other team who's moved on from a previous owner.

I'm sure Robert Kraft's ideals and beliefs are different then Billy Sullivan's, and Patriots fans who had to go through the Boston era to the New England era is fine with where they are now.

Hall of Famer
    Rookie ERA

Don't be a jerk, I don't appreciate it. Especially when it makes me want to leave the board.

Hall of Famer
    Rookie ERA

This isn't SR, a little more respect for your fellow posters please.

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast