Thread: Tigers starting to put together a coaching staff

Tigers starting to put together a coaching staff

Link

DETROIT (Ticker) - The Detroit Tigers have enlisted the services of two more former Pittsburgh Pirates' managers.

One week after naming Jim Leyland manager, the Tigers on Tuesday named Lloyd McClendon and Gene Lamont to their coaching staff.

McClendon, who was fired as Pittsburgh's manager on September 6, will serve as bullpen coach with the Tigers. Gene Lamont, whom McClendon replaced as Pirates manager in 2001, will be Detroit's third base coach after serving as manager for Class AAA Scranton/Wilkes-Barre of the International League in 2005.

Leyland, McClendon and Lamont have combined to manage all but 26 of Pittsburgh's games since Chuck Tanner was at the helm in 1985.

The Tigers also on Tuesday named Andy Van Slyke first base, outfield and baserunning coach, Rafael Belliard infield coach and Don Slaught hitting coach. Van Slyke, Belliard and Slaught all played for the Pirates under Leyland.
    Some interesting choices. I guess it's just a wait until the season to see how they do.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Good choices. McClendon will keep the guys on their toes and I felt he did a fair job at manager, he just didn't have the talent to do anything in the division he was in. Leyland signing some of his own former playerscould be a good thing.

No doubt. I was talking some in a earlier thread that having your friends around you will make it easier for them to work together and pass ideas back and forth. It'll create better chemistry in the clubhouse.