Thread: Trammel safe for 2006

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Tigers Trammel safe for 2006

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Burning Questions

Trammell's job as manager is safe for 2006
    It's tough to judge him because of injuries, but expect Tigers to tighten the leash next season.

By Lynn Henning / The Detroit News

More burning questions as the Tigers embark on a second half that might not have the significance envisioned during spring training:

Q: Bottom-line question: Does Alan Trammell return as Tigers manager next season?

A: Bottom-line guess: Yes. The Tigers won't hold him responsible for what happened during a season in which injuries -- Magglio Ordonez's, principally -- kept this team from competing as it might have during the first half.

Q: Is the front office doing cartwheels over Trammell?

A: No. I suspect -- and this is straight speculation, because no one in the Tigers' front office says a critical word -- that they wonder if Trammell's tactical command and instincts are what they need to be for him to look at a long-term assignment in Detroit.

Q: Can you be specific?

A: I don't imagine they -- general manager Dave Dombrowski, in other words -- are pleased at how he rested so many players so frequently, particularly during April. There have been times when that lineup was equivalent to waving a white flag. Trammell knows from his playing experience -- and from Sparky Anderson's insistence on resting players -- that you need to keep people fresh. I merely suspect his bosses aren't always wild about his judgment there, in great part because I think Trammell has gotten carried away with the philosophy.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/tigers/0...D07-253644.htm

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I have not seen to much of the Tigers this season, but they have not been impressing fans as much as the last few season prior to this one. If they are going to blame it on Trammel though, then why keep him around?

MLB ERA
    Isn't this the same front office that went out and signed a washed-up Troy Percival? I don't know how much input Trammel had in that but the blame needs to be spread evenly if you ask me.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I see what you are saying here, Trammel may get the blame on this as well. Which makes him even more of a need to get rid of.

Why should there be any blame? Tigers have improved over the last couple of seasons. Their baseball has become more exciting with young hitters such as Brandon Inge. They have a great future in pitching with Bonderman and Verlander. The front office has done an amazing job to fix all the problems moron Randy Smith caused. Reds fans think Dan OBrien is bad, imagine Randy Smith. This guy was horrible doing idiotic trades and giving out huge contracts to players like Higginson and Palmer. Percival and even Ordonez might of been mistakes, but Tigers do have the money to spend and both are amazing players when healthy. Dombrowski was smart enough to put certain clauses in the contracts. I'm not really getting as to why Trammel shouldn't feel safe. He may not be the smartest guy at times, but he gets the job done, and I would not mind seeing him as the manager for a long time.

I would like to bring up here that I have no clue on who was responsible for this move. I thought it was pretty idiotic to move Kirk Gibson to hitting coach when he was doing a great job as the bench coach. Not to mention Gibson wasn't to happy with it either. Just my little rant.

Rookie
    Down in Kokomo, where we'll get there fast and then we'll take it slow.
    Rookie ERA
    He's not the best coach in the world but you can only do so much with what you're given, remember that.

You basically repeated what I had already stated

He may not be the smartest guy at times, but he gets the job done, and I would not mind seeing him as the manager for a long time.
    What's he been given? He's been given one helluva young team to make into a great ML team. The team is exciting. He's a decent manager, no reason for him to go onto the hot seat now.