Thread: Tigers Acquire Betemit

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Tigers Tigers Acquire Betemit

The Tigers have acquired Wilson Betemit from the Royals for prospects Antonio Cruz and Julio Rodriguez, reports Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports (Twitter links). Bob Dutton of The Kansas City Star first reported that a trade involving Betemit was imminent (on Twitter). The Royals have confirmed the move in a press release.
    Solid move for the Tigers as Inge has been a complete dud this season posting an OPS under .500. Betemit will be an instant upgrade and the Tigers didn't give up any valued prospects to get him. Cruz is a 19 year old pitcher in A ball and Rodriguez is a 21 yr old catcher in A+ ball.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Tigers Acquire Betemit

Amazing how injuries have knocked Inge down from all-star to backing up Bet a Meat. Necessary move for them. Now they need to take Derek Lowe off ATL's hands.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Here's more from MLBTR.com
    The 29-year old Betemit was a sought after man this summer; the Brewers, Angels, and Marlins all expressed interest in acquiring him at various times. He has hit .281/.341/.409 with three homers in 226 plate appearances this year, though he lost playing time to Mike Moustakas in recent weeks. The Tigers have been focused on pitching in recent weeks, but this move gives them an upgrade over Brandon Inge at the hot corner. Inge is hitting just .177/.242/.242 this season.

Neither Cruz or Rodriguez ranked among Detroit's top 30 prospects in Baseball America's 2011 Prospect Handbook. Cruz, a 19-year-old left-handed pitcher, has a 3.11 ERA in 75 1/3 innings with the Tigers' Low Class-A affiliate this season. He's struck out 58 and walked 28 in ten starts and a dozen relief appearances. Rodriguez, a 20-year-old catcher, has hit .283/.325/.354 with one homer in 246 plate appearances for Detroit's High Class-A affiliate this season.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Marlins wanted to buy something? Loria must have had too much chocolate milk that day
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Rookie ERA

Detroit was said to have a lot of interest in Aramis, and this move tells me that he is 100% not going to waive his NTC.

Good pick up by the Tigers. They needed something.
    LeagueTeamRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLKansas City Royals (NYY/TB)3611-351711487
    TBLCleveland Indians1084-6982521
    HSLChicago Cubs2071-17641941

MLB ERA

Betemit is not a long-term answer at 3B. The Tigers need to find someone to play there until the kids are ready to contribute.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Inge was DFA'd so any team can have him for the rest of this year and next year.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Go to Coors, maybe he'll find the power again.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Inge accepted his assignment to AAA and Betemit has had at least one hit in all of his four starts