Thread: Miggy charged with DUI

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Tigers Miggy charged with DUI

2011 Spring Training: Miguel Cabrera of Detroit Tigers arrested on drunken driving charge - ESPN

FORT PIERCE, Fla. -- Detroit Tigers slugger Miguel Cabrera has been arrested on drunken driving charges in Florida.

The St. Lucie County Sheriff's Office said the 27-year-old's car engine was smoking alongside a road late Wednesday when a deputy spotted the vehicle.

According to the arrest report, Cabrera smelled of alcohol, had slurred speech and took a swig from a bottle of Scotch in front of a deputy. Police say Cabrera repeatedly refused to cooperate, saying, "Do you know who I am, you don't know anything about my problems." In 2009, the All-Star first baseman got into a fight with his wife after a night of drinking, right before his team surrendered the American League Central Division title to the Minnesota Twins.

Cabrera posted $1,350 bond and was released Thursday.
    I wonder if Cabrera gets his pants tailor made because he has to have some big balls to pull that shit. This is right out of a movie! What a wonderful way to start the season for the Tigers! They said in 2009, his blood alcohol level was .26!! I can't wait to see what it was this time.

Rookie ERA

Re: Miggy charged with DUI

Jesus. That guy has turned into a train wreck. Such a shame for a player with his talent.
    LeagueTeamRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLKansas City Royals (NYY/TB)3611-351711487
    TBLCleveland Indians1084-6982521
    HSLChicago Cubs2071-17641941

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I once did the same thing minus the driving, only to realize that it was my father I was talking to.
    He was impressed.

Not impressed at this is the Tigers. May they try and pull a Mets move and try to change the language of the contract to non-guaranteed? Buster thinks so. Contract Notes: Cabrera, Feliz, Branyan: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

MLB ERA

I wouldn't be too surprised to see Miggy get a call from Bud Selig. He'll possibly be suspended for this stunt.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

This guy will never figure things out. He is a full blown alcoholic. Hopefully he was not driving the car. For anyone to have an open bottle and drink from it when a cop is looking at him, has a major problem with drinking. On the field he has all the talents anyone would love to have. Outside of baseball he his going to ruin his life.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    I wouldn't be too surprised to see Miggy get a call from Bud Selig. He'll possibly be suspended for this stunt.
    You wish. You're talking about Bud Selig.
    Quote Originally Posted by mntwinsfan View Post
    Outside of baseball he his going to ruin his life.
    He'll have to roll over his vehicle in Coachella while all meth-ed up before I can compare his self-destruction to Steve Howe's.
    Last edited by realmofotalk; 02-19-2011 at 12:01 AM.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Tigers confirmed Saturday that Miguel Cabrera will be assessed by doctors to address his alcohol abuse issues before he reports to the team.
    GM Dave Dombrowski said there was no timetable for Cabrera's return, but that he wouldn't appear in camp "in the next couple of days." Doctors under MLB's direction will evaluate and could place him in a program. "I don’t set the program," Dombrowski said of the MLB involvement. "The regular season is a ways away. Most are 30-day programs." The Tigers expect to know more by the middle of next week. Cabrera is still being penciled into the Opening Day lineup at the moment, but if he's unable to play until the end of March, then he might sit out the first week or so of the regular season. In that case, the Tigers would probably go with Victor Martinez at first base, potentially opening up at-bats for Brennan Boesch, Scott Sizemore and/or Will Rhymes.
    The Tigers have a real shot to win the Central but they need those games in April just as bad as in September. The Central will be close so Cabrera missing ST will be a huge loss for the Tigers. Cabrera just needs to show self control, not rehab.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Florida authorities returned the driver's license of Miguel Cabrera on Monday afternoon.
    Cabrera still faces DUI charges and will go to trial eventually, but the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Department determined this weekend that there wasn't enough evidence to prove Cabrera was actually driving his vehicle while under the influence of alcohol. When he was arrested in February, his car was stopped on the side of the road. He refused the breathalyzer.
    I don't how laws are in Florida but here in KY you can get a DUI just by having your keys in your hand near your car while intoxicated.

MLB ERA

Nevada is similar to Florida, as long as your not driving and your car is stopped, they can't charge for a DUI.