Thread: Benoit's a Tiger

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Tigers Benoit's a Tiger

The Tigers reached an agreement with righty reliever Joaquin Benoit on a three-year, $16.5MM deal today. He can earn another $1MM per year in incentives. Benoit was one of baseball's best bargains in 2010, as he posted a 1.34 ERA, 11.2 K/9, 1.6 BB/9, 0.9 HR/9, and 38.9% groundball rate in 60 1/3 innings.
    WOW! Talk about a payday. Benoit will now be paid $5.5 million/season as a reliever! That's just too much to pay a reliever who isn't closing in my opinion. The Tigers did need a setup man but I think they overpaid for it but since its not my money, they did get a good reliever.

Give Me Some Wieters
    Rookie ERA

Re: Benoit's a Tiger

And for a guy that really has only had two great years in 2007 and last year in his entire career. Way too much $$$$.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Rays will get a supplemental pick.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by K-Zone View Post
    And for a guy that really has only had two great years in 2007 and last year in his entire career. Way too much $$$$.
    That was my main problem. The guy has only had one great season. Illitch is known to throw money around. He just wants to win and he pretty much gives Dombrowski free reign.

We'll see though. Hopefully it doesn't become a D. Willis type mistake.