Thread: Damon, Laird Not Coming Back

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Tigers Damon, Laird Not Coming Back

Johnny Damon and Gerald Laird will not be re-signed in the offseason according to a twitter from Jason Beck who covers the Tigers. If I were Johnny Damon, I would be pissed. He could have been traded at the deadline but stayed with the Tigers because he liked it there and wanted to come back because he believed in this team. Now he will be looking for a new team along with Laird. Laird did a good job behind the plate defensively but didn't provide much offensively. The two combined provide $12 million off the books for next year to get upgrades. Magglio Ordonez won't have his $15 million option picked up but could be re-signed on a lesser deal. If not, that's $27 million they can spend elsewhere. Tigers have some money to play with this offseason which is good for Tigers fans. Expect Crawford and Werth's names to be in Tigers rumors.

MLB ERA

Re: Damon, Laird Not Coming Back

I would be concerned if I were Johnny Damon. He had a chance to leave Detroit in August and chose to stay.
    Laird will be replaced by Alex Avila. Now Avila needs to show that he's ready to go.
    Werth would be a good fit for the Tigers. I don't expect Crawford to be seriously considered though. He'll command more salary than Werth will.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

Re: Damon, Laird Not Coming Back

I find this hilarious that Damon was so emotional about leaving Detroit at the deadline and now he is not being brought back.

I agree with Catman. Werth seems like the more likely FA to land in Detroit.