Thread: Domb. really did find a diamond in the rough

Domb. really did find a diamond in the rough

I remember this pick from a couple of years ago cause I remember speaking to some other Tiger fans about their thoughts on who we got in the Rule V Draft. Chris Shelton, everybody was talking about him. Shelton was brought up because of his bat mostly, everybody knew he could hit. The question was could he field, be a defensive player. He's been playing great at 1st base, and is better than Carlos Pena. I'm really excited about this young 25 yr old. If he improves at first defensively, I can see him putting up some good stats as a everyday player. We have two young studs at the Corner IF positions with Shelton and Inge. Any thoughts?

AA ERA
    What will happen to Pena then? I remeber him being a pretty good young player the last couple years.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Carlos Pena is a great player, but he's just not playing right now like he can. He's a talented guy, but Shelton is the better choice. Last I heard Pena was in AAA. If Pena improves down in AAA and comes back. We may see a duo of Shelton and Pena @ 1st. With Shelton also seeing some time at DH.

It seems that some teams are making actual use of the Rule 5 draft. I know the Sox grabbed Adam Stern and Lenny Dinardo off that in the past couple years. Neither will be a superstar or even that great, but Stern can do a little of everything and Dinardo is an adequate RP.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Not familiar with those players, but just more proof that if GMs and Scouts do enough research, Rule V draft can be very useful to find decent players. Domb did a great job with that. Shelton is going to be a great hitter.

Adam Stern only recently got "healthy" enough to play, but he hit his first MLB HR a few days ago. Dinardo was just called up again as the last resort RP.

Oh. Well hopefully they suck and hurt the Red Sux. Anything to better the chances of the Yankees.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I kind of like what this looks like for the future of this franchise. Shelton and Inge are fine young players that could give this team something to focus on for years to come. I hope the Tigers can really pull something off in the future, because this team has been on a rollercoaster ride over the last few seasons.

There not bad. They're building up this team with spects with a mix of decent veterans. They'll be a team to reckon with in a few yrs.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    He GoYanks, are there any other good prospects in the Tigers system? I think they are going to have to build within the system, and if they could get a few quality players called up in September and have them make some sort of impact, they may be dangerous next season.

The Tigers' strength is in their pitching prospects. Guys like Zumaya (who's having a fantastic year with electric stuff) and Verlander (one of the best pitching prospects in baseball), which in addition to Robertson and Bonderman could be sick in a few years.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Thanks fisher! I just checked these guys out and they look pretty good. No doubt this team will be a force in the central for quite a long time if they hold on to these pitchers. Fear Detroit!