Thread: Ernie Harwell passed away yesterday at 92

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Tigers Ernie Harwell passed away yesterday at 92

Harwell was behind the mic for the Tigers for over 40 years. Not only a fantastic, truly top-tier, broadcaster, he also was a great guy. I still remember last year catching him on ESPN during a game and him calling a few innings, and feeling lucky that I was able to enjoy that from him, at least one more time.

Click the link below to read the whole article, there are some gems there.

RIP Ernie

DETROIT -- The man who will forever be the voice of the Tigers is gone, and the Baseball community is left silent in remembrance. Hall of Fame broadcaster Ernie Harwell passed away Tuesday at age 92.

Harwell succumbed to cancer of the bile duct, and passed away at his home in Novi, Mich. Doctors diagnosed the condition as an aggressive form in August, and Harwell and his family decided against surgery at his age. He explained his situation with an extraordinary sense of peace, both to his friends in the community and to fans at Comerica Park when he made one last visit in September.

"I've got a great attitude. I just look forward to a new adventure," Harwell told the Detroit Free Press when he disclosed his illness. "God gives us so many adventures, and I've had some great ones. It's been a terrific life."

It was a new journey, Harwell said, and he was ready for it. Still, many who knew him weren't quite ready to say goodbye.

"In my almost 92 years on this Earth, the good Lord has blessed me with a great journey," Harwell told fans, "and the blessed part of that journey is that it's going to end here in the great state of Michigan. I deeply appreciate the people of Michigan. I love their grit. I love the way they face life. I love the family values they have. And you Tiger fans are the greatest fans of all."
    Harwell 'a true legend in Baseball, in life' | MLB.com: News

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Ernie Harwell passed away yesterday at 92

RIP Ernie. In the course of a year, two of the iconic voices in MLB have been silenced. He's undoubtedly in Heaven calling games with Harry Kalas
    rf28