Thread: Young Verlander made his first start

Young Verlander made his first start

Was quite exciting to see Verlander pitch his first game as a major. He didn't do too bad, but it wasn't oustanding. He pitched a total of 5.1 innings giving up 7 H, 4 R, 4 ERs, and striking out 4. Similar numbers to what Bonderman had when pitching his first game. I expect Verlander to have a good future ahead of him and to be a #2 or #3 in the rotation in some yrs for the Tigers. Verlander had done spectacular down in the minors for the A club, and then Erie (AA). Any thoughts on this kid?

AA ERA
    Did he skip over AAA? Seems like everyone is doing that .
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

He did skip over AAA. Right after the start he was demoted to Erie again.

The story goes that Dombrowski asked people in the front office who they felt could give them the best chance to win, and the whole front office said Verlander. Tigers needed Verlander because none of their 5 man rotation was rested enough to pitch in the double header against Cleveland. I liked the move and it gave Justin some innings to help him a lil to get the feel of the majors.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    At least he got a nice taste of the big leagues. Sounds like he has a promising future for himself. If he is anything like Bonderman, he will be a stud. What kind of stuff does this guy have?

Verlander has great raw stuff, one of the best things about him. I'm not familiar with his pitches, but everything I hear from people points to this kid being a good player.

Again, good news for Tigers fans. Look for him to replace someone in the rotation next year, Maroth maybe.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Maroth? If anything Verlander will bump Sean Douglass out of the rotation. Maroth is experienced and can become a solid SP. Only way I see Maroth out of Tigers rotation is if he gets traded which is possible.

As for Verlander up in the majors by next season. I just don't see it. Maybe making a couple of starts mid to later in the season. I just don't see him ready to take on the ML next year. They should leave him at AA for the rest of this season, and move him up to AAA next season. We can see how well he does in AAA before considering the move to a full time rotation spot.

AA ERA
    That is a great idea to use. One start isn't going to ruin the guys confidence if he does get destroyed and it give him a chance to see what it is going to be like.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Hmm...I thought Douglass was in the pen. Again, I stand corrected.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

He had his first start not to long ago. I know he's listed as a RP on some sites, so he must've been used in the bullpen at some time, but I truly don't remember. His first two starts have been solid, but some question if he can keep it up. Time will tell.

I was at a Verlander game once at my job, he completely dominated the Fishercats. Absolutely insane.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Torii Hunter Said That Today Verlander Fastball Was 99 Mph. Wow. The Kid Looks Good.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

Rookie
    Down in Kokomo, where we'll get there fast and then we'll take it slow.
    Rookie ERA
    Verlander has an even higher ceiling than Bonderman, but I agree with GoYankees that he needs his seasoning down at AAA still. This kid is still very young and very raw and if the Tigers play their cards right with him, they'll have one dominant stud duo.