Thread: Damon signs with Tigers!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Tigers Damon signs with Tigers!

He has a .900 OPS in Comerica, so yes, he's better off with you guys and not Atlanta. Just remember to add spaghetti sauce to his noodle arm, k? Thanks, bye.

Johnny Damon nearing decision, considering several offers - ESPN
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

re: Damon signs with Tigers!

Per Ken Rosenthal:
    Tigers owner Mike Ilitch has authorized a two-year, $14 million offer to free-agent outfielder Johnny Damon, according to major-league sources.

Damon also is considering a one-year, $7 million proposal from the Tigers, one source said. His agent, Scott Boras, is seeking a two-year deal.

The Braves also have made an offer to Damon, believed to be in the $4 million to $4.5 million range with significant deferrals.

Boras, however, seemingly has succeeded in reaching out to Ilitch, who previously signed several of the agent’s other high-profile clients, including catcher Ivan Rodriguez, right fielder Magglio Ordonez and pitcher Kenny Rogers.

If Damon agrees to a deal with the Tigers, it will mark the third time in recent years that Boras has coaxed a multi-year offer from Detroit when it appeared that the market had dried up for a star player. Similar scenarios unfolded with Rodriguez in 2004 and Ordonez in 2005.

A two-year, $14 million deal would match what the Yankees dangled to Damon as they were attempting to sign his potential replacement in the No. 2 spot, free-agent first baseman Nick Johnson.
    The Tigers are on crack. They need help. Seriously. I like Damon a lot, but this offer is just not needed given what the market is for him.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

per leatherpants:

Tigers and Johnny Damon still in serious negotiations and Tigers continue to have best offers on the table

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

He is finally signed somewhere! I am not sure how much yet, but I just read this tweet.

Tim Brown:
    Tigers and Damon contract is for one year, according to source.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

More from Brown:

Damon-Tigers contract apparently has no second-year option. Guarantee is for more than $7 million.
    Then...

Damon-Tigers contract worth about $8 million, source says.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Damon signs with Tigers!

This is worth much more than the Braves were offering. Damn got good money, but still nowhere near as much as he expected. Likely why it is only for one year.

Damon replaces Granderson. Who is better all around?

MLB ERA

I guess it's a good signing for them, if only because it gives them depth. I think Ryan Rayburn was slated to get most of the playing time in LF, so he can move to a backup role now. I'm not exactly sure that it matters very much though, because I don't see Detroit being much of a contender this year. It seems to me that Minnesota and Chicago are the two best teams in that division.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Scott and Johnny, I am sure the market will be WAY better for Johnny Damon's services next season. Guaranteed.

Good move for Detroit, even though his fielding decline will be on more of a display in Comerica.